Wal-Mart and the Union

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
Re: Wal-Mart and the Union

sounds good to me. if the store cant make a profit may as well pack up and let the next guy try. however wally worlds are like macdonalds and such. the dont want to pay bennies and overtime they will schedule a person to work 30 hours a week to keep them in a part time status then ask them to work 40 to cover someone else but they will do anything tokeep off the OT clock.but its wallyworlds right. if they cant make a profit, time to close up and move along.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

figures......... so they close a store that has been supported by more or less loyal customer base. <br /><br />Just goes to show how arrogant the "Worlds Largest Retailer" has become. <br /><br />First wally world dictates to their suppliers what the same suppliers will be paid for an item. WW says "better be what we damand we will pay you",...Good for WW. Good business imo. The suppliers can simply say no.<br /><br />Now WW tells its loyal retail customers to stick it as well, rather than negotiate in good faith with WW employees who wish to organize.<br /><br />Good customers can say "stick it" as well.<br /><br />No wonder citizens in my local community are sayin NO to the proposed WW (Hartford Wisconsin)

Stratosfied

Ensign

What kills me is that at the local Wally world, is that we ya go to leave there is a old person who says, "thanks and come back". I always say, where else can I go!!! They have put all the small business out in our town and they are the only place to go for the things ya need. What a crock they cann't make a profit, out of the ten richest people in the world, 5 are WALTONS!!!

crab bait

Captain

yeah, but who cares if'n they 'dust bowled' the town an everyone lost there jobs an tumble weeds are rollin' down main street..<br /><br />it's low low prices..!! makes your unemployment / welfare checks go along way.<br /><br /> an the products all have an americian flags on them..

BLU LUNCH

Lieutenant

We had a similar thing happen where I work. I work for Danaher Tool Group the largest hand tool manufactor in the world. We make tools for Craftsman{ the entire line}We own Matco Allen Armstrong and supply large stores like Lowe's Napa and a lot more. We had 2 unionize shops one in Springfield Mass that made rachets for all of the above, in Dec. 2004 they told everybody they are closing the shop to save money and move down south. But it was a move to remove any unions from the corperation. If you ever watched John Ratenberger's Made in America they{Springfield Plant} were featured last year with Bob Vila.....

NathanY

Commander

WalMart woud not be here if it werent for the fact that no matter how much you whine and cry about it, you still shop there...<br /><br />I love WalMart, I love the fact that I can get anything I want at one stop. I hope they continue to grow as they have...

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

I can't find anything I want at a walfart.

kd6nem

Chief Petty Officer

Wally World annoys me because they are inevitably out of what I went for more than half the time. There is too little room between the aisles, and given the general lack of courtesy of many of the patrons, it is difficult to move around. Customer service is a word not in WW's vocabulary with very few exceptions. Not in the big picture, anyway.<br /><br />On the other hand, while there may be a few benign exceptions, unions normally do little but make things worse for everyone and prices higher for the consumer. The additional wages negotiated for employees winds up back in the pockets of the union leaders leaving the employees with even more people telling them what to do and how to think. <br /><br />Maybe WW deserves to get unionized. If they treated their employees like family they'd get more out of them in the first place. Of course if employees took some ownership/pride in their work maybe WW might have treated them differently too. (Then again maybe not) Of course WW doesn't seem to go out of there way to make sure everyone they hire is competent or responsible. One time I got to overhear a discussion between a young girl who arrived an hour late to work and the assistant manager. It was a tossup to tell who was the better employee. I'm certain there must be some who are outstanding, but it is obvious that many are young, irresponsible, and clueless. Personally I like the greeters best. They might not know much, but at least they are genuinely friendly. I like that WW at least doesn't hate seniors.<br /><br />Any time selfishness/greed appears it is bad news for all affected. You can make a nice profit and still not be greedy. You can have wonderful working conditions without a union. And you could even have a union that was in it for the employees. Not one of the bigger unions are this way, though. Just as corrupt as the greedy upper management of big business, every one of 'em. Either way it remains a scenario which leaves much to be desired. Pity, since it really does not have to be this way.

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The weekend- brought to you by the unions.<br /><br />Minimum Wage- brought to you by the unions.<br /><br />Safer workplace- brought to you by the unions.<br /><br />I can go on and on....<br /><br /><br />I am a union electrician and I make close to double what a non-union one makes in my area, where I am in a labor union if my work quality isnt any good I get a pink slip and they call and get another guy to fill my spot, to date I have not been laid off while other brothers are still out of work waiting for "Bush" to change the economy around since it is all his fault that their work ethic sucks and they dont have a job. <br /><br />Labor unions work out very well due to the fight to keep a steady job you can be gone in a days notice if they want, this makes for some really good guys getting it done quick and with quality workmenship.<br /><br />Does Walmart need a union? Thats a tough question since I dont know anything about it firsthand but as its been said above the union in certain places will protect scumbags.<br /><br />Not all unions are bad, like I said your local labor union works on a whole different thought...

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

WHo do you blame, Wallyworld for keeping profits up so they can keep their stocks high, or workers demanding more money.<br /><br />Its all about greed either way.<br /><br />Unions arent always the best idea, how bout showing your boss you deserve these things instead of blackmailing him.<br /><br />Ken

eeboater

Commander

Its interesting that everyone hates Wally World so much. I for one don't shop there. To say they have squashed every other business in the area is ridiculous. I drive around town and see stores all over the place where I can buy comparable items. For crying out loud they are a business. The purpose of a business is to make money. If peopel don't like working there, it's a free country - go get another job. Often times unions don't do anything but screw up the system. The professors in my college are forming a union. I can't wait to see what my tuition will be next year.<br /><br />Not all labor unions are bad, but not all are good. I think the the usefulness of a labor union has expired. It was good for the world during the industrial revolution because of the horrible working conditions. But to STOP WORKING because you're too fricking cheap to pay a 25 co-pay when you visit the doctor, that's when it is getting ridiculous.<br /><br />If I threaten to not come in on Monday because I think my chair is too uncomfortable, my employer would say don't let the door hit me in thass on the way out. <br /><br />I think you should earn what you deserve. Not what you THINK you deserve. <br /><br />Sean

eeboater

Commander

In addition, if everyone hates Wally world so much, why are they the number one retailer in the world?

Twidget

Commander

In addition, if everyone hates Wally world so much, why are they the number one retailer in the world?
Because of my wife. :( <br /><br />I dont shop there, but she cant seem to leave. She goes, complains about it and goes back. It makes no sense to me.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

Mine too Twidget......she buys all the sundries there.......

Fly Rod

Commander

:) You can talk about the union!! :rolleyes: You can talk about the non union!!! :rolleyes: <br /><br />There are some non union companies that pay as well and also give you good bennies too!!!<br /><br />Then again there are places that pay low!!!<br /><br />Why do union members complain about WalMart, but they are the ones, 1st in line waiting for the door to open!!!!<br /><br />A friend of mine hates non union workers, being a union member himself!!! He has never hired a union contractor to work on his house, I wonder why!!!! :confused:

Johnshan1

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I have not found a non-union company that will pay me the same wage I make as a union member, that is a fact, I have searched high and low.<br /><br />For your info, my union cannot strike, if you dont do a good job your without a job.<br /><br />-John

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

fly rod<br /> I am with ya:)<br /> I have some friends that are gung ho bone beating union men. always fired about how a man should get a living wage and blah blah blah. yet when their car breaks or the boat conks out or the siding needs paint they are the first out shopping for someone to do it on the side for half price and even then complain that it cost tomuch and they are just poor folk. I have gotten to the point if you ask me to do something in my spare time I will gladly do it at twice the normal shop labor rate.

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

there is a "Labor Union" thread sponsored by Barlow down aways.<br /><br />no sense beating things that are beaten up already IMO.