Wakeboarding/tubing in Ohio

dnifedem85

Seaman
I just moved to Cleveland. I am looking for an inland lake to take the family and friends to go tubing and wakeboarding. Preferably within an hour or so. Thanks for any help!

ThePostMan

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Re: Wakeboarding/tubing in Ohio

As a former Ohioan, I can suggest a few decent options. . .depends on what side of Cleveland you live on, of course. Just down the road in Portage County is West Branch. It has a nice marina with concessions. Gets pretty crowded on weekends, but half the lake is no-wake and helps keep the fishermen and waterskiers separated.

I'm also a big fan of Mosquito Reservoir over toward Youngstown (just north of Warren). If you're east of the city, you can be there in under an hour. It's large and rectangular. . .gets a lot of boat traffic, but they have great launch ramps and plenty of water to move around.

Berlin is pretty popular, down near Deerfield. Not sure about public ramps, there is a big population of summer homes on the lake, which helps keep the crowds down a bit. Big party scene, at least when I went.

I don't think there's much water west of the city, but I could be mistaken. You could always make the trek to Sandusky and stay in the bay. . .always a good time!

rucaradio

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Living in Alliance, I'm about 10 minutes from Berlin and West Branch. WB is known for hidden stumps, and Berlin's water levels can be whacky. Both are reservoirs, so depending on whats going on with the Corp of Engineers the water levels may be dangerously low (especially on Berlin).

A few years ago I had a 17' bowrider on Berlin and was pulling a friend on a tube. Suddenly I went from 40 MPH to stopped. I looked behind and saw my friend standing in ankle-deep water. Luckily everything was ok so we hopped out of the boat and pushed it to deeper water.

If you're willing to drive another hour, head down to Salt Fork or Seneca. In my opinion Seneca Lake is the BEST in Ohio for skiing or tubing.

George Zeck

Seaman Apprentice

Just red some nice comments @ Pleasant Hill Lake (near Mansfileld) and many nice things @ Salf Fork.

This is the first full season for me - I'm learning as well. Threatening to go out to Kinzua Dam / Lake in Pa. 2 hrs

George Zeck
Avon Lake, OH