VP 5.7Gi-D Oil Pan Replacement

dacarter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: VP 5.7Gi-D Oil Pan Replacement

I got back on the project this weekend and got a few things accomplished, but also ran into a few more parts I need and will have to order or pickup locally.

I cleaned up the bilge, and removed the Y pipe. The mating surfaces looked really bad, so I'm thinking it was probably seeping some water into the boat. It cleaned up nicely and I re-installed with Permatex Aviation. It's hard to know for sure you got the gasket into the groove properly, so I'm thinking I will plug the exhaust hole outside the boat and put a couple of gallons of water in the pipe to see if it drips.

WP_20130420_001.jpg

WP_20130420_002.jpg

I rented the 5 lb Autozone slide hammer that has the 3 claws with it, and was able to easily remove the gimball bearing. The spring from the seal behind it came with it, and the seal looked damaged, so I pulled it out too and will replace it.

WP_20130420_009.jpg

Here's the outdrive, ready for the new seal and bearing.
WP_20130420_010.jpg

I made a quick stand for the outdrive from 2x4's, not following any plans, just thrown together quickly. I found that with long 3" lag bolts you don't need lots of cross bracing and the boards hold the weight of the outdrive very stable. I drained the oil and a couple of ounces of water came out first. Since there was some water in the bellows, I suppose this water may have come in from the yoke seal. I decided to load the drive on a hitch basket and will take it to a VP shop tomorrow and let them pressure test it and replace any seals needed. I don't really have the time at this point to rig up the pressure testing device and all that, and this will give me some piece of mind that a pro checked it out.

WP_20130420_008.jpg

dacarter

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: VP 5.7Gi-D Oil Pan Replacement

Just to wrap up this thread, the rest of the repairs went well. I got the new gimbal bearing installed by starting it with a large PVC pipe, 3" I think, the taping it in around the perimeter with a socket extension rod, so no special tools needed. The engine alignment seemed perfect, so I proceeded to put everything back together and ran the boat in the driveway. The water pump was dripping, (I installed a new impeller and oring) but after greasing the oring and putting it back together it was fine.

I tested the boat last weekend on a lake and it performed flawlessly. Initially I did start to overheat, but that was because I didn't know how the capacity of the closed cooling system. After topping it off, everything was good. Salt water this weekend!

I'm almost glad this oil pan issue came up on the boat since I now have intimate mechanical knowledge of the boat.