Volvo Power Trim wont raise but will go down?

jakeschoppe

Cadet
This is my first attempt at this so be patient. I have Volvo 5.7GSI PEFS with DP-SM 1.95 outdrive. My power trim will lower but not raise. I have put new relay's in but I still have the same problem. If I let the thing sit for a day it will raise again, but as soon as I put about 5 minutes of run time in the up quits me? I was able to jump power across the relay housing to get the trim to raise to trailer it, but I cant figure out the problem? Maybe the trim switch or a bad ground? Does anybody know how this thing works? I assume the relays just reverse the motor? Jake (stumped)????

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus
Re: Volvo Power Trim wont raise but will go down?

If I let the thing sit for a day it will raise again, but as soon as I put about 5 minutes of run time in the up quits me?

It shouldn't take more than 15 or 20 seconds to go from full down to full up. Why are you running it for 5 minutes does it take that long to get the drive to full up?
There is a thermal fuse in the motor that is probably tripping and resets after it cools.

jakeschoppe

Cadet

Yes, you are correct it only takes 10-15 seconds from full up to full down. What I meant was that when I start down the lake and then get the boat on plane by trimming it up, after about 5 minutes of moving forward and you go to adjust the trim it just wont trim up, only down?

Don S

Does the motor run and just not move the drive, or does the motor just stop working all together?

jakeschoppe

Cadet

The motor runs/tries to pump when you press the trim button down. When you press the trim button up you get nothing? No click at the relay and the motor doesnt make a sound. If I pull the relay out of the bracket and jump 12v power across it will run the motor (up) so the pump will work? This is how I had to raise the outdrive to get it off the lake.

Don S

It takes both relays to work both directions, you might try swapping the relays position and see if the problem reverses from up to down.
Here is a thread on testing the trim system http://forums.iboats.com/showthread.php?t=492684

jakeschoppe

Cadet

Thanks Don, the other thread is excellent and will help me trouble shoot it better. Will work on the problem this weekend and get back. The wiring diagram is nice too. I found a part number (3856844) for a replacement trim switch if that is the problem. The part numbers for the relay housing show that they dont exist any longer (3852246) So if the problem is in the sealed relay housing I'm stumped. At this point I need to do some more checking with a volt meter and test light. Thanks for the other thread and info....

Oh, also there are re-build kits for the electric motor(Brushes/etc) but I'm still not sure on this (thermal fuse) thing, can you tell me any more about it?

jakeschoppe

Cadet

Spent a few hours diagnosing this yesterday. The wiring diagram was the key. I found a loose connection where the 3 trim wires connect on the back of the motor in the wiring harness. And, (problem solved) with luck. Thanks Don for your help. Next job.... Putting in a new trim sensor.