Starcraft Chieftain

mccurtis

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I am looking at a 24' Chieftain that has not been used since 1996 and has been sitting out in the weather the last 5 + years. When it was parked I was told it ran well. I know it is a total restoration although the motor might work.

Does anyone have any thoughts or comments as to the task at hand. The person selling the boat wants $800.00 for it. To move the boat I will have to buy 4 new tires, for the trailer, at a cost of approximately $400.00.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Starcraft Chieftain

Like EZ said what motor there are some very intelligent ppl on here that will be able to give you good insight into the specific engine in the boat. My question to you is WHY are you spending a 100 bucks a piece on tires. I can think of three places around me that sell used tires 25 bucks a pop. grab the rims get some used tires and work from there get it outta the water for a 100 bucks and work on it from there. Does he have an auto bilge how often does it run? If its sitting in the water for five years and still floating then your doing ok. Is it sitting in salt water? That would make me kinda nervous....

This is a great place with lots of info get us the most amount of info you can and we will be able to help you the greatest amount

jetstreakdave

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I am guessing that it is not in the water but on the trailor ,in the weather. I am doing my chieftain right now and it has been out of the water and in the weather for the last 7 yrs. It is a daunting task to say the least. Before you try to turn it over take off the fuel lines as you don't want any of that old gas if there is any left getting into the fuel system. I just dropped my tanks into the rad shop to have them cleaned and the inside coated. $150 a tank. Worth every penny for the peace of mind. What year is your chief? an Mk4? Check out my posts as I have put in a few pics and will be posting more as the restore progresses. Don't put car tires on the trailor as they don't have the sidewall strength and your trailor will sway. I put $400 worth of tires on mine. carlile high speed heavy duty trailor tires. You don't want a flat on the first voyage. tires i don't think should be cheaped out on. you will be hauling just over 3000 lbs. loaded.

FJ_Russo

Petty Officer 1st Class

Man I shoulda read closer before I posted.... ooops My thoughts were put tires on the trailer pull it outta the water and see what your working with such as hull shape... my bad. As far as car tires I do diasgree to an extent passenger car tires with a load range p are rated for 1200 lbs. My fiances 3120 lb dodge stratus sits atop 4 passenger car tires.... Just saying do as you please but if your not in the situation to put 400 bucks into tires buy 4 load rane p tires and be good up to 4800 lbs

mccurtis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The chieftain is a 74 and has a ford 302 in it (188 Hp). The boat is on a trailer and it appears that everything needs to be redone, however I might get lucky with the engine you never know.

I have also been looking at a 1975 22' chieftain with a in line 6 motor (165 hp) for the same price that needs to be redone.

Note: both are mercruisers.

I am leaning toward the 24' 1974 chieftain because I like the bigger cabin.

Does anyone have any thoughts on comparing these two boats? The 22' 1975 may be a better way to go in some peoples opinion. I have always been bigger is better.

I am looking at these boats because I want to campout on the lakes here in the Branson area 1 to 2 nights at a time. I have a 1971 Islander with a 140 hp mercrusier and it is small for my family of 5.

mccurtis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The hulls on both of these boats are in excellent shape.

dozerII

Admiral

Go with the 165 GM motor, easy to fix, lots of parts and takes up less room. just my 2 cents
Glen

rockb

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Does anyone have any thoughts on comparing these two boats? The 22' 1975 may be a better way to go in some peoples opinion. I have always been bigger is better.

If your vehicle can handle the larger boat get it. Very few people have said "I wish my boat had a little less room"

mccurtis

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Hey flcaptainbill are you in little rock Arkansas?

Can anyone let me know the pros and cons of the Ford 302 motor? Are parts easy to find? Is it more difficult to work on the Ford than the GM motor? As Dozer II noted above the 165 GM motor is easy to fix and there are lots of parts available. I have lots of room and I don't think towing will be an issue.

Does anyone have any insite as to how it would be launching and loading the 22' to 24' chieftain by myself?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

As is well known about me...I am NOT an I/O guy, but from what I've picked up, Ford has been out of the marine business for quite a while so parts aren't going to be as plentiful as for a GM based motor. However, the 188 was pretty common so I really don't think you'd have too many problems. I don't think it was regarded as a particularly fantastic powerplant but not terrible either. I don't think I'd let it sway me towards the smaller boat. For 5 people you need every bit of that 24'.

A post put up in the Mercruiser section asking about the 188 would quickly confirm or deny my above regurgitations :p