Volvo Penta SX-A Vibration

borz170

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I have a vibrating sound when operating my SX-A with a 3.0 GL pushing her. This drive was low on oil, not registering on the dipstick, at least 1/2 pint of spilled oil from separating the drive shaft from the drive, exposing the gears by accident. I was trying to figure out how to remove the drive and tool a wrong turn. Then when I put her back together a few weeks later, i forgot to top her off.

I ran the engine for about an hour during a sea trial, when the engine suddenly quit. It seemed like the drive seized up. I blew a fuse between hot wires next to the igh switch. When it cooled down 15 mins later, it started up and ran for about a minute when the same thing happened.

I made it home and drained the gear case oil, which was black. A few small metal flakes were found, about 3 the size of 1/2 a pinkey nail. I sorted through the rest of the oil and found nothing. I filled her back up and the engine would run fine, except for a new vibration that is worse when operating at higher RPMS, and when tilted all the way down or above the cruising mark.

I really hopw i didn't screw the gears in my drive. This drive shifts in the upper gear case. I am mechanically inclined enough to rebuild the engine in this boat, but not smart enough to fill the gear case with oil. Is replacing these gears very difficult? Are there many expensive tools needed? Parts expensive?

Any help would be very appreciative, for I have been through hell and back with this boat over the last year or so. I'm not giving up though.