Volvo Penta in Bayliner 1989 runs in start position but not in run position

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
Those look like circuit breakers for the ignition. Look at the back side of the panel to verify.

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
those are the remnants of circuit breakers

ripjmk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
You initially said you thought the boat was a 1989 which I think is most likely, the hull number should tell you (normally molded in the transom starboard side). All my responses are based on it being a 1989!
You indicated you have already swapped the ignition key switches so you can access the back of them. Follow the purple and purple/white wires from the key switches, they should connect directly to the emergency shutdown switches. Both ignition feed wires to the switches (Red/Purple) should have a 15A fuse in them, you need to access the back of the fuse panel to see if it has been modified by anyone.
Did you find a purple/black wire attached to the starter solenoids?

ripjmk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
After a good look at your photos it seems that all the gauges have been changed out and a local made gauge panel installed. The port tach also appears to be broken. With the circuit ignition breakers missing and the non original gauges, you have to find out what wiring changes have been made! The original emergency shutdown switches would normally be in the same position as the key switches but on the other side of the steering wheel.
You will probably have to find out what the hull number is in order to discover the actual year and model number so that you can get the original wiring diagram for your boat.

xs650head

Cadet
Hi All, firstly - apologies for the confusion - damn Flu must be messing with my brain! as far as I am aware it is indeed a 1989 hull - I will though on my next visit attempt to verify this by the hull number - when you say 'molded into the transom, starboard side' I am assuming that would be on the inside of the transom? near the top? (please!)
Yes, my next step was going to be to pull the panel and have a look at the circuit breakers with the possibility of swapping 2 of the 'un-used' ones into the 2 positions that are labeled as port and STBD ignition.
I will also check the purple and purple/white wires to see where exactly they go.
Also there are two buttons on the rear of the throttle/gear controls - I will add another pic - do you know the function of these?
Thanks for your endurance and patience - I understand that it must be hard to accept that there are people with soooo little knowledge regarding these matters

Attachments

• IMG20211126082751.jpg
    IMG20211126082751.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 4

ripjmk

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The hull number should be on the outside of the transom near rub rail height on the starboard side (it is set in the mold for the hull).
The buttons on the throttle controls are most likely the buttons to disengage the shift mechanism to allow you to advance the throttle without going into forward or reverse gear. They stay engaged once the throttle is advanced and disengage when the throttle is returned to idle.