Volvo Penta Fuel Pump Whining Noise

4Winns24

Seaman Apprentice
Hi. My fuel pump is making a high pitch whining noise. The boat initially wouldn’t start so I thought it was because of 2 year old gas. I changed the filter and drained some gas and there was no blockage. The gas was good too. I reconnected everything and the engine started but fuel pump (I believe the high pressure pump) is making a loud whining noise. The engine is running fine otherwise with no problems.

Attachments

• IMG_2686.mov
    18.6 MB · Views: 0

HiWard

Seaman Apprentice
I posted a thread on this a while back and got some good feedback, I also listed my debugging steps in the first post. Check it out:

BRICH1260

Lieutenant
If indeed the high pressure pump is bad, there are many more remedies today than a few years ago. You can replace the entire unit with an aftermarket one for a couple hundred bucks or you can purchase just the high pressure pump and install it for cheap too. If you keep the origional unit, I would suggest that you send it away for internal refurbishing or do it yourself, it is fairly easy.

4Winns24

Seaman Apprentice
I posted a thread on this a while back and got some good feedback, I also listed my debugging steps in the first post. Check it out:
Thank you. Does yours make the same sound?

I forgot to mention that the boat was in storage for a year and a half. I just started it after a long pause in use and everything runs fine except for this noise that didn’t use to be there.

HiWard

Seaman Apprentice
Thank you. Does yours make the same sound?

I forgot to mention that the boat was in storage for a year and a half. I just started it after a long pause in use and everything runs fine except for this noise that didn’t use to be there.
It's pretty similar to mine, but yours sounds louder and with a slightly higher pitch.

4Winns24

Seaman Apprentice
It's pretty similar to mine, but yours sounds louder and with a slightly higher pitch.
It is constant. Even when I turn the switch on before starting the boat, it makes a similar noise. I don’t remember the noise from 2 years ago.

HiWard

Seaman Apprentice
It is constant. Even when I turn the switch on before starting the boat, it makes a similar noise. I don’t remember the noise from 2 years ago.
Mine also makes a sound when priming (ignition on), kind of similar to the whine. It's not supposed to be noise-free I believe.

4Winns24

Seaman Apprentice
Mine also makes a sound when priming (ignition on), kind of similar to the whine. It's not supposed to be noise-free I believe.
Maybe I am being super sensitive. This is what happened. The boat was in the storage since July 2022. Last weekend I launched it for the first time after a year and a half. It started but was sputtering and would die after 2-5 minutes or so. So I thought it might be gas or a blockage. Also, I noticed the whining noise for the first time. I drained some gas from the fuel line and the gas was good. I also changed to an OEM fuel filter even though my filter looked good. I primed the system on muffles and now it is all fine. It stays on with no problems on the same old gas. I am wondering if the system had somehow lost prime or is sucking air.

HiWard

Seaman Apprentice
Sounds like it’s time for a fuel pressure test. Also make sure you have no remains of gasket material from the old fuel filter where it mates to the fuel cell assembly. Did you inspect the fuel pressure regulator on the high pressure side for paint flakes?

4Winns24

Seaman Apprentice
Sounds like it’s time for a fuel pressure test. Also make sure you have no remains of gasket material from the old fuel filter where it mates to the fuel cell assembly. Did you inspect the fuel pressure regulator on the high pressure side for paint flakes?
We have little kids and my wife can not help me. We recently moved to a new town and don’t know anyone who can help either. It has been very challenging to do anything with the boat getting it out of a very tight storage or launching it. But I agree. I have to do the fuel pressure tests. Asked a boat mechanic and was quoted up to $2000 depending on what is wrong and $200/hr for diagnosis.

HiWard

Seaman Apprentice
The fastest (and possibly cheapest) solution to your issue is probably one of those aftermarket pumps available for around $150-200. A few $ more gets you the fuel pressure tester and correct fittings. The replacement job is easy and well documented on Youtube.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
Every time mine whines is because blockage. The screen in the fuel pressure regulator should be checked and cleaned and remove the high pressure pump and clean the inlet screen on that. The HP pump is held in with a bracket and single screw.

Lou C

Supreme Mariner
Look up man cave mechanic’s you tube channel, he has lots of info on these problems

imeineIsi

Recruit
I've got a similar sound too. How critical could it be if I don't pay attention to it for a while?

ESGWheel

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I've got a similar sound too. How critical could it be if I don't pay attention to it for a while?
Potentially fatal. Here is a post from ‘michaelmoran8473’ on Man Cave Mechanic’s video (link):
  • I purchased a Carver boat with a 8.1 Volvo. Had the boat for 3 hours after a survey in the motor blew up. Found out there was paint chips in the injectors number one number three and number six. All those cylinders disintegrated [because] they were leaned out. So apparently the chips got by everything else so got into the injectors.
The vid also shows how to easily check if paint is the issue (most likely).