Volvo Penta Drive Belt - Lots of dust and quickly wearing??

CaptnO

Petty Officer 2nd Class
If the pully can wobble on its shaft, like it’s a loose fit on the shaft > that is an issue!
If the pulley is tight on the shaft but wobbles when you turn it (called runout > i.e. as the pulley is rotated it traces a back and forth profile (without the belt on, and you can turn the PS Pump easily by hand) that is also an issue depending on how much. Here is a video link showing runout on a PS Pump. This wobble causes a misalignment of the ribs with every rotation which will wear it down quickly. Here is how: imagine you are driving on a road that has a perfectly matched set of groves to your tire tread. You tire tread actually sits down in these groves. And then you constantly move the steering wheel back and forth just a little bit. It’s like that > wear city.
so what causes Runout? and how do you fix it? Just buy a new pulley. Or would it be best for me to just Buy a new Pulley and Power Steering Pump Assembly? What do you mean turn the PS Pump easily? Do you mean the Pulley? If so then it's Fairly Easy when I attached the laser to it the weight of it slowly moved it but it didn't move right away if that makes sense

CaptnO

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Depending on how close it is, the pulley can be moved in. A cheap pulley puller/installer can adjust

I'm seeing all pulleys are 5 rib but I'm not able to determine if they are the same width due to optics.

Are all pulleys clean and smooth
I cleaned them all with a wire brush. Like I said I put everything brand new and it's been an issue. So there has to be some misalignment issue and I think the laser tool proved that.

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
CaptnO,
Assuming pulley is not loose on the shaft, runout is caused by either a bent pulley or a bent shaft or both. Thus, fixing can be replacing the pulley only or the entire pump assembly.
However, I re-read the entire post and three things stood out to me.
  • In post 8 Lou commented that in the video the below appears to be rubbing against the tensioner. And looking at it, it sure does.
  • And in post 11 you stated that it is not rubbing as much with the new belt. The belt should NEVER be rubbing against anything.
  • The 3rd thing is I could not find your year and model of your engine.
I know this has been very frustrating and here is my heartfelt suggestion:
Post your engine year and model > with this find the correct serpentine belt threading diagram and belt part no. Someone on this forum will have both if you cannot find it.

Carefully compare the diagram with your set up. Look for not only the route of the but also the relative locations of the pulleys and tensioner. Google your engine as well and look for an actual picture someone has taken of their motor and use that as another reference. If anything looks off, post those results with pictures, etc.

Get yourself a VP belt of the proper part number and install per the diagram. Do not depend on a cross reference chart for an alternative. Get a VP branded one. Check for that clearance of the tensioner. And post results.

In brief, go back to basics. I suspect you could thread on a belt in your sleep so who am I to suggested it may be threaded wrong? I mean no offence. But it’s like proofreading your own writing. You know what you wrote and never pick up on the ‘and and’ in your sentence but when you read every word out loud you pick up on it. I am suggesting something akin: you know the path by heart but when you diligently compare it to the OEM diagram you have an ah ha moment.

Once all that is done and verified and nothing is different, we continue on the what the heck is going on. I can confidently say this: belts should not wear like you are experiencing and it can be fixed.

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
Just thought of this: also post pictures of old worn belts focusing on the area of the wear: the edge, the ribs, etc. And in the engine compartment where is the largest collection of belt dust. This should help narrow down what the issue may be.

CaptnO

Petty Officer 2nd Class
CaptnO,
Assuming pulley is not loose on the shaft, runout is caused by either a bent pulley or a bent shaft or both. Thus, fixing can be replacing the pulley only or the entire pump assembly.
However, I re-read the entire post and three things stood out to me.
  • In post 8 Lou commented that in the video the below appears to be rubbing against the tensioner. And looking at it, it sure does.
  • And in post 11 you stated that it is not rubbing as much with the new belt. The belt should NEVER be rubbing against anything.
  • The 3rd thing is I could not find your year and model of your engine.
I know this has been very frustrating and here is my heartfelt suggestion:
Post your engine year and model > with this find the correct serpentine belt threading diagram and belt part no. Someone on this forum will have both if you cannot find it.

Carefully compare the diagram with your set up. Look for not only the route of the but also the relative locations of the pulleys and tensioner. Google your engine as well and look for an actual picture someone has taken of their motor and use that as another reference. If anything looks off, post those results with pictures, etc.

Get yourself a VP belt of the proper part number and install per the diagram. Do not depend on a cross reference chart for an alternative. Get a VP branded one. Check for that clearance of the tensioner. And post results.

In brief, go back to basics. I suspect you could thread on a belt in your sleep so who am I to suggested it may be threaded wrong? I mean no offence. But it’s like proofreading your own writing. You know what you wrote and never pick up on the ‘and and’ in your sentence but when you read every word out loud you pick up on it. I am suggesting something akin: you know the path by heart but when you diligently compare it to the OEM diagram you have an ah ha moment.

Once all that is done and verified and nothing is different, we continue on the what the heck is going on. I can confidently say this: belts should not wear like you are experiencing and it can be fixed.
Thanks for the response. I have a 2004 Chaparral 260ssi which came with the Volvo Penta 5.7 GXI-E Engine. The block is new though from Eagle Engine Sales. All the parts I used are from the Volvo Parts Store Parts Diagram. I get all my parts from Marysville Marine.

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
All sounds good.
And apologies, I now see in post # 34 good pictures of the old / new belt. And they are of the correct PN per this link. I would characterize the belt as having wear on the edge and the ribs indicating that a ribbed pulley has a lot of runout or is misaligned (the tire in the road with matching groves analogy).
You suspect the PS Pump. Let’s go with a runout check as follows:
  • Remove the belt off its pulley so you can turn its pulley by hand.
  • Construct a makeshift pointer out of a ruler or dowel or even a piece of cardboard and affix it some point on the engine such that there is a pointer or edge is next to the front side of the pulley and not flopping around.
  • Rotate the pulley by hand being careful to not disturb the pointer and observe the gap between the pulley and the pointer. See mockup.
If the difference in the gap while turning the pulley between the widest and narrowest points is obvious to you, there is significant runout (the measured runout should be on the order of a hair thickness or two, not readily observable by the eye, only a measuring device, thus if you see like 1/8” or a ¼” difference, you have a bad PS Pump).
The above process applies to any of the pulleys so if the PS pump is good check the other ribbed pulleys.
Let us know how it goes!

Checking Runout.png

ESGWheel

Chief Petty Officer
CaptnO,
Have you been able to determine the root cause?
  • If yes, please post your finding. This can only help others with similar situations. There are a lot of good folks providing help and suggestions and all of us learn from the ultimate solution.
  • If still an issue, let us know that as well and the current eval of any runout of the pulleys.
Again, I can confidently say belts should not wear like you are experiencing and it can be fixed!