Volvo Penta (DP-SM) Spanner Wrench Size

Blueeagle

Cadet
Hi,

I just purchased a rebuilt kit for my 2004 Volvo Penta DP-SM trim cylinders and wanted to ask if any one knows the Pin Distance Center to Center and Pin Diameter needed for a Face Spanner Wrench?

Thank you.

Senior B

Petty Officer 1st Class
The pin distance is 1.5 inches. When I did mine years ago, I got a Armstrong 34-107 open face spanner wrench and it was the ticket. If you google it, you'll see it's available on e-bay or amazon. I didn't have success with the cheaper variable pin types that I tried. I would drop the $20.00 and get the good one like I mentioned. The end caps are on there pretty snug. Also when you get the thing apart, your going to find that the piston is on very tight as well. Be careful not to score the rod. Besides things being on tight, the job itself isn't to difficult. Good Luck.

Dave-R

Chief Petty Officer
Just as a thought, If you have the kit, a lot of tractor repair facilities might be able to do the job for very little cost. There are dedicated shops that only repair hydraulic cylinders, and they can do them in a jiffy, maybe even less than the spanner. Dave-R

Fishhead-1

Petty Officer 2nd Class
A cheap diy spanner if you have a drill press is to take a old crescent wrench and drill a small hole through each of the jaws near the tips and insert a pin. Now you have a adjustable spanner