Volvo Penta AQ125A Head Replacement

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class
Had the exhaust manifold fail on me (started spraying water out of the manifold), so I went to change it out and got the old one off easily but noticed that the 4th port exhaust is corroded really bad. I know the casting number on mine is 1000398 but I was wondering if there is another comparable head I can use or if I have to use the same number. Also can the head be repaired or is it to far gone? (See Pics)

I only have 3 more trips left then im done for the summer and I winterize it. I was wondering if it is ok to use the head I have now and just deal with the tapping noise until I can get a new head setup over the winter months?

Any advice and hints would be much appreciated and if anyone has a good source to get a head for the boat.

About Engine

1985 Volvo Penta AQ125A with 270 Out Drive

Thanks Jason

Attachments

• photo206256.jpg
    photo206256.jpg
    41.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class
The photos of the head didn't come through for some reason so here they are.

and

captmello

Captain
I've heard of those being repaired, so I'd start there. If yours is beyond repair, ebay...?

kamby

Petty Officer 1st Class
I've heard of those being repaired, so I'd start there. If yours is beyond repair, ebay...?

Thanks for responding. I did manage to find another head on eBay that looks in real good shape but it didn't have a cam, so I picked it up for 100 clams and will take it into the shop during the winter.

I went ahead and put the new manifold on the boat and got it started, other then the loud noise from the exhaust leak it seems fine and didn't have a problem. Hopefully I can get a couple more uses out of the head before im done for the winter and I can pull it and have the new head rebuilt and the cams switched.

Jason