Volvo Penta 5.7 GI efi hard start wont idle

alldodge

Staff member
That's a real bummer, you have water in the cylinders?

If that;s the case, need to pull plugs, disconnect coil electrical connections, disconnect the water hoses going to the exhaust manifolds and crank over the motor to spit the water out. (Disconnect the hoses going to manifolds so you can crank the motor over with water going to pump so not to damage pump.) Then squirt oil in the cylinders and crank a few more times.

Now need to find out where the water is coming from. My first thought is it needs new exhaust

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Yep...sometimes you overlook warning signs and "gut feelings"....the owner said he had the exhaust went through and cleaned out and new gaskets & bolts....
I know how bad exhaust manifolds can get on these motors.....yes I could tell it had new gaskets and bolts. ...and my gut said "hmmmmm?" But I didn't listen!
Do y think it will be fine if it was exhaust and I get that repaired? It ran fine, never overheated....after we stopped for a few hours, & went to restart thats when it made starter grinding sounds.

Last edited:

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Another question would be; I only pulled two plugs, both having some water...its been 6 days boat has been sitting with water in cylinders ( at least in the 2 cylinders I pulled plugs), and it's a little late tonight to go out & pull the rest of plugs....what are chances the water has caused major issues with cylinders since its been in there several days?
Once plugs are out, just use mystery oil fogger spray to lube cylinders?

alldodge

Staff member
what are chances the water has caused major issues with cylinders since its been in there several days?

Its a roll of the dice. If there is only surface rust you can get by, if the rust catches the rings just right it can snap them

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
THE HITS KEEP AH' COMING!😡
Ok seeing as the water has been in cylinders for 6 days, I decided to run outlet tonight, pull plugs and flood cylinders with seafoam fogger.
Starboard side from front to back, 1st three wet, last seemed pretty dry maybe slight moisture.
Port side front to back, 1st plug dry, 2nd plug SNAPPED OFF!!!!!!!!, 3rd plug wet, last plug dry.

I can't catch a break....other than the plug BREAKING! The threaded section still in head!
&..........now what?! I'm not a person for cursing but I've been yelling profanities that aren't even in the dictionary!
I'm d*mn near ready to say the heck with it, have it pulled out and a new motor with warranty installed GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRREERR
I'm thinking the motor is probably I'm decent shape seeing as I never had overheating and haven't been able to really turn it over.....i big time flooded the cylinders that had water but haven't turned it over yet. I know I needed to turn it over but just too dang late tonight.
Wife is NOT happy right now to say the least after giving her a ball park cheap to expensive diagnosis 😑

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Guys, I'm starting a new thread for this issue (Volvo Penta 5.7 GI Water In Cylinders)