Volvo Penta 5.7 GI efi hard start wont idle

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
2008 Volvo Penta 5.7gi efi motor. Recently purchased after a successful sea trial. Boat hasn't been used for approx 6 months prior to purchasing. Gas tank, all 80 gallons is basically full..was told it has always used NON ethanol fuel.

Because its sat for some time, Preventative maintenance I decided to pull injectors and have cleaned. Pulled pressure regulator and cleaned. Checked fuel pressures, low side was 11psi, high side was 51psi. I also replaced the batteries in boat.

First voyage out started off perfect. Got to anchoring spot 15 minutes later and after shifting into neutral, it died. Tried and tried to restart without success. Decided to advance throttle in neutral and it started up. If I pulled back to neutral/ idle, it would die. Got boat going and seems perfect running up on plane. Died again at ramp before loading up, making that a scary experience around the dock. Went home and did online research.

Research steered me to the IAC valve. Replaced it and no difference. The new IAC is loud, hissing up and down and the plunger is frantically moving in and out.

If I advance throttle a quarter inch in the neutral out of gear position, it will start up. If I pull it back that quarter inch, it wants to or does die. Once it's started and pulling rpm, it seems good. When it's idling, or shifting in and out of gear it either try to or actually dies.

I rechecked fuel pressure on high side. It's a steady 50-51psi. It only drops 1psi when throttle is advanced.

*The IAC valve is brand new, replaced today....

*Fuel pressure on both low and high pump seem in spec.

ANY ideas on what's next? Im stumped! Would the TPS cause this idling issue? I don't think it would but it's the last sensor part on throttle body ( motor is direct fuel injection).
Any help would be appriciated.
thanks

Last edited:

QBhoy

Fleet Admiral
Clean and/or replace the Diz cap and rotor. Should see her right. Given battery and charging circuit all good !

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Alternator putting out perfect, batteries maintaining 14v when running. Haven't looked for myself but was told the spark plugs and cap & rotor where replaced 6 mnths ago....ill have to pull the cap and see for myself.

alldodge

Staff member
Howdy

Your symptoms would say its the IAC, but having replaced it then there may be another source. First what was the part number of the IAC?

Also pull fuel filter, pour into a clear container (baggie, glass jar) and smell it. Does it small like gas?

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
IAC Valve is an aftermarket unit & says-
  • Replaces Volvo Penta 3843750
My motor is a 2008 Volvo Penta 5.7 GI efi with only around 170 hours.

I haven't removed the filter but will do that tomorrow. I know the fuel is approx 6mnth old said to be NON ethanol.

alldodge

Staff member
Have no problem with aftermarket parts, just would like to know which part was installed

Look forward to seeing what you find about the fuel.

Comment: In My Opinion (IMO) if a sales persons lips are moving they are lying. Some may not, but so long as this is remembered, you will not be disappointed

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Thanks for suggestions all!
AllDodge, even if fuel is old and stale, would that cause the idle / shifting into & out of gear dying?
I think I have a new fuel/water separator filter in garage...i had a box of misc new stuff for Volvo lol.
I also added Stabil 360 fuel additive before I took it out the first time hoping that it would address any short comings of old fuel.
I think he was accurate in the NON ethanol fuel. I say this because I've seen many motors that have used regular gas and typically I would find the lots of crap on the fuel regualtor screen etc and the regulator looked perfect...but then again who knows, maybe he cleaned it before I got it hahaha

alldodge

Staff member
Trying to rule out issues as we go forward, the motor is dying because it's idling to low. Trying to find out why the idle didn't stay up

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
AllDodge, I greatly appreciate your help as I try to sort this out. I'm usually quick to diagnose & figure out issues but this ones got me scratching my head.
Once I'm back home this eve, I'm going to pull the filter and pour into a clear container.
If the fuel is bad, what do people typically do with 80 gallons! of highly combustible liquid??? I could use 20 gallons or so for my lawn mower i guessšŸ˜•
I'm sure it's a pretty penny to dispose of through county/state/ private facilities that do such.

alldodge

Staff member
Have to check with local laws, but in most cases there are places which will take it. I don't think right now its the fuel but need to do checks to make sure before moving forward.

Its a 5.7 Gi - what ?

There are different models for the IAC and this is why I would like to know the part number used. A vacuum leak or bad electrical connection to the IAC can cause the issue

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
The part is generic in a white generic box with nothing more than a label stating the following:

X001DN4D11
IAC (idle air control) ...iser and Volvo Penta engine NEW

Maybe it's the wrong one? When I was looking online at the Volvo Penta parts list for the GI efi motors, it listed the IAC as part # 3843750. Seemed like that was part number for all the VP 5.7L GI motors.

This was the online product description for the part I purchased from am*zon.com: [h=3]Features[/h]
  • New IAC (Idle Air Control) for Mercruiser and Volvo Penta engines
  • Replaces Mercury Mercruiser 805224A1
  • Replaces Volvo Penta 3843750
  • Symptoms of a failed IAC can be rough idle, fluctuating idle, engine stalls when coming down from full throttle, hard to start or high rpm on start
[h=3]Product information[/h] [h=4][/h]
3 x 3 x 1 inches
3.04 ounces
3.04 ounces
B.B.
B06Y5MZ7QM

Package Dimensions
Item Weight
Shipping Weight
Manufacturer
ASIN

alldodge

Staff member
Searched on all the numbers and your part does appear to be the correct one. With the hissing and movement I would lean to a vacuum leak, incorrect installation or bad IAC

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Ok, well with correct part, it didn't appear that it could be installed incorrectly, only seemed to fit one way, and I can't install electrical plug incorrectly.

Faulty part....i assume that's possible.

The hissing is definitely seems to be coming from the IAC as I can see the plunger moving in conjunction with the change in the hissing sound.

I called a local marine machanic who is said to specialize in i/o motors. I tried explaining the symptoms to him and he said he is 99% sure it needs a new shift cable. Said the shift interuptor switch is the cause of my issues. I'm having a hard time figuring that on out.....i know the interuptor switch is designed to momentarily cut the ignition to lower rpms for gear meshing of the outdrive, but....
It dies even when using the neutral shift button on side of shifter, so I'm actually bypassing the cable all together correct? So that being said, it wouldn't be the cable at all...

I don't even know that I'm making sense anymore hahaha

Last edited:

alldodge

Staff member
VP does not use a shift interrupter, only on Mercruiser Alpha drives

The vacuum leak can come from other areas, or the gasket. The electrical connection could be the plug, or the wires, the contacts. Your issue is it just started and so far what you have done has not changed anything.

Regal1973

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Well there you go, he doesn't seem to know what he is speaking about as it pertaims to my motor....i have him all the details to include manufacturer of motor.
I'll check the plug itself, the connector, pins etc.
I'll use my stethoscope to better isolate the hissing noise.
Again, thank you for all your quick feedback! Its greatly appreciated.