Volvo Penta 5.0 gxi intermittent starting issues

ScottAdams

Recruit
I know this was several years ago but hopefully someone sees this.
I have the same motor in a 2005 Four Winns and a very similar issue.
Most times it’s starts great on the first try, once started, it runs great for as long as you want, but many times, once you turn it off, it has issues starting. It cranks, sounds like it’s about to start but ends up not starting, sometimes after 3-5 minutes and 5-10 attempts, it’ll start, sometimes it doesn’t. Was this similar to your issue? I plan to go through the trouble shooting this week.

ScottAdams

Recruit
I have a Volvo penta 5.0 gxi.. it’s in a 2005 four Winns. I’m having intermittent starting issues. At times it starts on the first try, once running, it runs great! But, if I turn it off, and immediately try to start it (or even if it sits for an hour or two). It has trouble starting, the motor cranks, sounds like it’s about to start but ultimately, it doesn’t. After a few tries, sometimes 10-15 and 3-5 minutes, it’ll start. I have had to be towed before. Originally I thought bad gas so I’ve been adding fuel treatment to each tank but I’m still having the issue. Any thoughts?

alldodge

Staff member
I merged your threads

Check for spark with a spark gap tester to see if its white color
Check fuel pressure at the rail, should be 50 to 60 psi

ScottAdams

Recruit
Spark plugs and fuel pressure are good, that’s where we started, there’s a screen after the fuel filter too, that’s been cleaned. I read a thread yesterday that sounded similar and there’s was an electrical issue, wondering if this could be the case?

alldodge

Staff member
Spark plugs and fuel pressure are good,
If these where good then the motor would start, something is not present.
Most likely it's an electrical issue, loosing spark or injector firing.

You have a Flat distributor cap, has it been replaced?

When cranking do the fuel pumps run?

Is there 12V on the pink wire of the coil?

Rickenbacker

Cadet
What rpm's do you see when cranking?
I'm having the same issue with my Volvo Penta 5.7 GXi. Ran fine for a few outings (3 hours and a fresh tank of gas on a new fuel filter) then sat for a few hours and then would not start. It would only sputter a few times for 3-5 seconds. Fuel pump is running and smell gas after trying to start a few times. Tried to get the sputtering to get to idle by giving it a little throttle but this did not have much effect. The only clue I had of an issue prior to this was Friday night when it started and it went right to 2000+ RPM. I shut it off immediately and started it again and it was back to normal. Sunday it behaved normal. Monday it would not start after anchored at the beach and I had to get towed in. I'm so tempted to throw parts at it (TPS, MAP, IAC, etc).

Scott, did you solver your problem?

MI CC

Cadet
I will throw this out there just for a very easy check. Most likely not your problem but I once had intermittent starting issues. My kill switch clip must have been barely opening the circuit. It would normally start right up but if I turned engine off, many times it would not start back up. Never cut off while running but wouldn't start. Held clip in once when I was having the issue and it started right up.

yoster

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I know this was several years ago but hopefully someone sees this.
I have the same motor in a 2005 Four Winns and a very similar issue.
Most times it’s starts great on the first try, once started, it runs great for as long as you want, but many times, once you turn it off, it has issues starting. It cranks, sounds like it’s about to start but ends up not starting, sometimes after 3-5 minutes and 5-10 attempts, it’ll start, sometimes it doesn’t. Was this similar to your issue? I plan to go through the trouble shooting this week.
Sounds similar to my issue too (and my thread just below yours). I'll be cleaning the MAP sensor this weekend.. but also thinking the IAC might be suspect. It's just strange though because once it DOES start, it's good to go. All major systems inspected/replaced (pressure regulator, fuel pump cap & rotor, etc etc).

The only thing I DIDN'T do (pressure system related) is replace the screen with the e-clip on the pressure regulator. Might do that too.. just to rule it out.. even though the screen is clean.