volvo penta 280,305 V8 question

cnccustom

Seaman
Re: volvo penta 280,305 V8 question

Jut to let all you know, This boat has plenty of power it jumps right up to 40 mph (on smooth water) at 4400 rpm but I usually cruise it at 27mph 3500 rpm...Plenty of poop for me,I only went to 40 just to see what it would do...40.5 mph was on my GPS and about 39.2 on my fishfinder.....speedo said about 40.. ..with me and 2 other onboard

it has hydraulic trim tabs on it already that I am trying to get used to.....

also checked the exhaust manifolds inside and they looked fairly clean..very little rust but I did scrape some off while I had them apart.....

Overall Very Happy with my Purchase and am storing it indoors......

cnccustom

Seaman

jastacey said:
The one thing that I didn't see when you went through the replacement of hoses and such, install a fuel/water filter, as most of the country has gone to E10 fuel. The 280 outdrive is a very strong unit, not having trim is something one has to learn to do without, but get some good trim tabs ...as they will help alot, the 305 is a good little motor .... just don'r run it at full throttle all the time, and it will last for a few more years, I'd do a compression test to see what the numbers are. the only thing one needs to do on the Volvos is change the u-joint bellows every couple of years, and grease the u-joints,and a shot of grease in the intermediate housing, change the oil once a year, and check the dipstick level every couple of weeks during boating season for leakage and water intrusion.

Will keep that in mind...Thanks...it does have a filter

cnccustom

Seaman

Bellows were changed last year.....mech said they will last about 5 yrs........all oils look good..

what kind of fuel Range can I expect from this boat at cruising speed 3500 rpm...54 gal tank...Have not had her in open water yet..just cruising around the bay and plan to go to catalina next month.......

.I know I cant get exact numbers but a General Guide to go from would help me alot

jastacey

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The range .... well it depends on the prop pitch, type of hull,and if the hull is clean, my boat is 19 feet and it has a 29 gallon tank and I'm spining a 21" wheel, and I'm getting around 60 t 80 miles or so per tank, but I;m just not cruising!!!