Volvo 280 U Joint rusted to shaft

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 22, 2006
Messages
290
Any ideas how to get it off? It appears to be rusted to the shaft. I have the upper gear box free, but the u joint assembly will not budge. Anyone with any ideas on how to get it off? Is it possible to remove the u joint from the yoke while it is still attached at both ends? Should I remove enough ?stuff? from the upper gear box so I can get to the screw that holds the yoke to the gear?

Any and all opinions are appreciated.

Thanks.
 

jerryjerry05

Supreme Mariner
Joined
May 7, 2008
Messages
18,196
Re: Volvo 280 U Joint rusted to shaft

Yes undo the 4 bolts that hold the top housing it sounds like your gonna need heat to remove the u-joint.You will probably need to remove the engine so your job just got a lot bigger.Once you put heat to the joints it will ruin the seals on the shaft.Jerry
 

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 22, 2006
Messages
290
Re: Volvo 280 U Joint rusted to shaft

What the heck, I'll pay $16 for a chance and not pulling the motor. ;)

Thanks, I ordered some. I'll give it a try. :D
 

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 22, 2006
Messages
290
Re: Volvo 280 U Joint rusted to shaft

BTW, do they send you a confirmation email when you order online?
 

Hitech

Petty Officer 1st Class
Thread starter
Joined
Sep 22, 2006
Messages
290
Re: Volvo 280 U Joint rusted to shaft

Do you remember which one? I might try to look for it. If not, I'll just have to wait till it comes in the mail. I'm not good at waiting...
 
Top