Viper Prop Info??

jmb23802

Petty Officer 3rd Class
Today I purchased on CL a very nice three blade stainless steel "Viper" prop in what I was told is a 14-3/4"x21 configuration but I did not measure it to be sure. The seller claimed he bought it from someone who had it on a Volvo Penta outdrive but the seller never ended up using it so he couldn't say how well it worked. I checked the hub and there are 19 splines which I think should fit on my outdrive which is a VP SX-M (should have confirmed before purchasing). The part number stamped on the hub face of this Viper prop is 3858028.

I have been trying to find more information and opinions about this prop but the more I look the more confused I get. From what I have found, OMC and later BRP (Bombardier) made Viper props and there have been at least one revision to the part numbers, maybe more. I also read there was a slight design change when BRP took over design of the Viper props. Where I really get confused is I cannot seem to find any site referencing a Viper prop for a VP SX drive, but I appear to have one. The OMC Viper props seem to follow the 3858028 part number series but information I have found on this specific part number appears to reference a 15 spline OMC Viper prop. I confirmed my prop definitely has 19 splines. I am starting to wonder if what I have is a re-hubbed OMC prop for a VP SX drive.

In the end, I guess what I am looking for is an understanding of which company made this prop, approximate age range, and intended application and performance of this prop.

In addition, if anyone has any general information about Viper props such as market position, design focus, or real world performance experience on outdrives I would love to hear it. My intention is to try this prop on my 2003 Four Winns 170 Freedom with 4.3GL/SX-M, replacing the factory aluminum 14.25x23 prop. I got a deal on it so I thought I would play with it and see if I like it.