Viper Cobra 201D help with setup

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class
Boat: 1998 Viper Cobra 201D bass boat
Outboard: 1997 Johnson Venom 200 (healthy, 110PSI) stock
Prop 25P OMC Renagade
6 in slidemaster jackplate (changing to a 10" hydraulic today)
5800-5900 rpm's WOT
Currently the boat will run 64mph GPS in it's current setup(2 people, light tackle). Propshaft is about 3.5" below pad. Great holeshot.
When I trim up, the bow will lift until about 3/4 trim then it starts slipping and mph starts lowering(throws a tall rooster tail)

I think the prop I need from doing some research here is a Turbo Lightning.

My question is:

With the 10" hydraulic jackplate, what pitch would you recommend? 24, 25, 26"?

I do have a 24" and 26" raker to try, but I think I want to end up with a turbo lightning.

jestor68

Commander
Re: Viper Cobra 201D help with setup

What rpm are you getting before the ventilation starts? Your range is 5K-6K.

If it's up on the pad, that's all the trim you need to use.

Do you have the original Raker or the Raker II?

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'm at 5800-5900 rpms. I don't really feel it lifting up on the pad. I did raise the motor up an inch or so in quarter inch increments but saw no increase in speed so I lowered it back down. I even lowered it some to try and get more grip, but lost speed.

jestor68

Commander

I would give the 26 Raker a try to see if you can get a little more bow lift without blowing out. You may not even lose much rpm due to (hopefully) being able to get in a little more trim.

Faztbullet

Supreme Mariner

Your best prop would be a 24 Raker with double cup on blades for added lift. Make sure you have a water pressure gauge with hydraulic jack plate as you can get to high and burn up motor.

cdoliver

Petty Officer 1st Class

I got the 10" hydraulic jack plate installed yesterday, I will see what the 25P renegade does, then try the other 2 rakers. I do have a water pressure gauge and I will keep an eye on it.

Anyone know what minimum h2o pressure should be for this motor?

dan02gt

Chief Petty Officer

The Tempest Plus is a very popular prop for bass boats. It lifts my fish and ski really well. You'll need the correct hub kit but that's not a big deal. I would think 24 or 25 pitch would be the way to go. Stay away from the Turbo Lightning the Tempest or Raker will be better for your setup.