vet spitting

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner
ok<br /> gotta know<br /> whats the opinion on the vet that spit on Jane Fonda?

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander
Re: vet spitting

Would this be an anti-fur thing? news don't get to this side of the pond much with the general election looming.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

something about a vietnam vet that stood in line for a Jane Fonda book signing and when he got to her he spit tobbacco juice on her.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

Sounds a bit out of order to me. Did he give reasons?<br /><br />There's a lot more effective ways to make a protest if that was his idea.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

he did not like her behavoir in the 1968-1973 time frame.

Tinkerer

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Is this it? http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/film/4467851.stm <br /><br />She looks 67 in the photo, for sure.<br /><br />For those who don't know the background, read this for one account. http://www.snopes.com/military/fonda.asp <br /><br />For what it's worth, by the time she went to North Vietnam I had swung around 180 degrees and was fully opposed to our and US involvement in Vietnam. But it's one thing to oppose what your country is doing and an entirely different thing to assist or support the enemy, which is precisely what Hanoi Jane did when she handed North Vietnam a great propaganda coup.<br /><br />If the bloke was in Vietnam I don't blame him for spitting on her. After all, she was sh!tting on him and his mates. <br /><br />It's never a bad thing to bring these flaky Hollywood types back to reality.

RubberFrog

Rear Admiral

It would have been a little more acceptable 20-30 years ago. I don't know about spitting on an old lady... deserved or not. Regardless, I thought it was funny. I saw on the news that he even purchased her book and had her sign it first!<br />Edit: they just said on the Today show that he had a mouth full of chew. How gross!

RetNav

Tinkerer, I was going to post when your post popped up. I read it and agree 100% so I'll just let it go at that.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

my only problem is, its still assult. while I agree with his emotions and disagree with Janes actions in the 60's I cannot condone assult. I mean isnt that what the fight was supposed to be about? isnt that why we are fighting now? for freedom of expression as long as it does not involve physical assult? I hope he is prosecuted to the full extent of the law,whatever the law in that state is. puts a black name on the rest who fought honerably then protested through legal means against actions like Janes. by spitting he stepped over the line. two wrongs dont make a right no matter how strong the emotion.as a vet myself, its a sad day to be affiliated with undisciplined riffraff like that.

Nos4r2

Lieutenant Commander

I apologise for my ignorance there Rodbolt. Having read the story I'm incensed.<edit-If I was a vet> I wouldn't have spat on her.<br /><br /> I would have shot her and expected a medal.<br /><br /><edit> Ok, now I've calmed down...<br /><br />She shoulda been hung or shot for treason for her actions.

Tinkerer

rodbolt<br /><br />You're right that two wrongs don't make a right.<br /><br />Maybe if Fonda had been satisfactorily punished by the law for giving comfort to the enemy at the time the bloke wouldn't still be so resentful that he spat on her, and I might be more critical of his action.<br /><br />I think spitting on people can be a contemptible act or an act which expresses justifiable contempt. I'd put this case in the second category.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Treason is treason. <br /><br />Hanoi Jane and the media "lost" that war for us.<br /><br />The media is still trying to lose the "war" in Iraq for us by trumpeting every enemy success and ignoring coalition successes and progress.<br /><br />Spitting on the broad was an undignified thing to do, but I sympathize with the guy's attitude.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

JB<br /> I to sympathize with the attitude. I draw the line at illelal actions and assult. does that meaan if someone does not like the fact that I point out how many of the top white house admin is a convicted felon someone can just hit me? or if I protest the fact that our government is not going in the direction I think it needs to be and speak at a town meeting I can be assulted cause someone disagrees?<br /> myself I think she should have been tried years ago but apperently she did nothing wrong,legally. morally to me it was reprehinsable. however as far as supporting/trading/collaberating with the enemy we have to look no further than presscott Bush, bubba's grandpappy. he wasnt tried either. still does not give a vet any right to assult, same as protestors have no right to assult a vet. protest anything and everything but keep it in bounds of the law or change the law.

WillyBWright

Fleet Admiral

She looks like she's 67 in that photo? I gotta get me some water from your area, Tink! You must have a fountain of youth in Melbourne. ;) <br /><br />Politics aside, I still think she's a pretty hot looking chick. :) <br /><br />The vet should be fined for Disorderly Conduct. Some fines are worth the price. I punched my wife's (ex-wife now) boyfriend. Best $25 I ever wasted! :D :D :D Only problem is when I fill out employment applications. Except for that I have a clean record. All I gotta say is "I punched my wife's boyfriend and I'd do it again. Wouldn't you?" :D

NYMINUTE

Captain

Childish, but considering her behavior in the 60's maybe understandable.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Charge him with assault...as long as Hanoi Jane is charged with treason. Fair is fair.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

tcube

Petty Officer 1st Class

In 1970, while stationed in Syracuse, NY, I had to go downtown during my lunch hour. Rather than change, I went in my AF uniform. Anti-war protesters spit on me. That is a disgusting and humiliating gesture that no one deserves. I don't like JF any more than the rest but she is human.

rodbolt

Supreme Mariner

dogsdad<br /> did she actually engage in specified treasonous behavoir or is that your sentiment? I dont think she was ever tried due to she did not actually engage in trading with an enemy. if she did she should be but I think all the lagal eagles never found treason as specified in our law. <br /> Tcube.<br /> I know the feeling.<br /> while traviling in uniform during the persian gulf war we occasionally ran into protestors. most I could calmly explain that the reson why they had the right to excersise their constitutional right to protest is because me and millions before, and most likly millions after, gave up our constitutional rights and joined the military.<br /> never got spit at. I hope I would have the self disiple to not take a swing and disgrace my uniform and my honour. there is a proper way to protest actions and an improper. but I bet the vet will happily pay his fine:) :) . with any luck Jane will step up and take it like a citizen and not persue it. would be the right thing to do in this case I think.<br /> I had a friend that smacked someone once that deserved a smacking. at the trial the judge found him guilty and levied a 100 dollar fine. when asked if he had anything further to say my friend said if he had known it was 100 dollars a swing he could have hit him 6 more times.<br /> the whole court broke up. the judge failed to see the humour, the defense attoney almost choked, luckily the judge admonished him and all were happy leaving.

Laddies

Banned

Dogsday, I would agree with your statement, if she was imprisoned or shot for her crime. The problem is and was she had no charges filed against her, like should have been done. She certainly must have made her father proud after he served the country in the second war. At best she was and is a **********, she has always sold herself, for attention, for politics, for a job in the movie industry, in her marriage to the commie Tom Haydon (were she got her Vietnam veiws, to Ted Turner for connections and money. Now spends a great deal of time asking for forgiveness. I did not serve in Vietnam myself, I had served and was discharged, but as long as I am alive I will remind everyone I can get to listen, of her unpunished crimes---Bob