very, very, slightly bent prop shaft

heaty1

Cadet
Sup fella's I've wrote in before 'bout the same problem. The guy at the shop seems to think I,m O.k. but he says the prop is bent a little but not enough to hurt anything. Can that be?? Can you run a bent prop shaft at high speeds and not hurt anything even if the bend is less than 1/32 of an inch or less??? This is on a 1984 Evenrude 150 <br />I dont think you can it seems like it would shake the lower unit apart, bust all the seals and stuff. What do ya think? this guy crazy??? or am I lucky??? Thanks, come on snake eyes.....<br /><br />------------------

12Footer

Fleet Admiral
Re: very, very, slightly bent prop shaft

A bent prop shaft,no matter how slight, is bad news, and I hate to be the bearer of it.<br />When the shaft is bent,it will sometimes not even be noticable underway. But eventually, the seals will fail,so keep an eye on the<br />lube. Check it after every trip. If you aquire a milky unit, you'll know. <br />Now the good news. You could allways replace the shaft. You might even get a good machine shop to straighten and re-true the shaft,which wouldn't be as good,but costs less. the drawback being, the shaft will have to be turned-down in most cases,thus,you'll have to run a wierd size bearing and seal from then on.<br />But the lower unit will get milky before any damage is done, so let that be your gauge.<br />Get a bag-o-pipecleners, remove the vent screw, and check the lube with the pipe cleaner, as you would a dipstick in on oil.<br />Allways use a new gasket on the vent screw.<br /><br /><br />------------------<br />Time to change my tagline

Dhadley

Supreme Mariner
Re: very, very, slightly bent prop shaft

By the book -- change it. In the real world I have seen some bent shafts run for years with no problem. I would prefer to straighten it or change it if it were mine. Especially if you are surfacing the prop and/or running above 6500 rpm. There are some excellent aftermarket shafts out there. Your local shop will know where to get them. Good luck!