Very sorry for my melancholy mood

Skinnywater

Commander
It was bound to happen. For a couple years one talks a happy life. Good family, good home, life and good luck.<br /> I haven't been involved with very many topic sites. And this is the best by far.<br />Kind of a personal rule I had with myself when I started getting on the internet 5 years ago. Was to not get into intimate personal aspects of my life.<br />Some of my 4 digit posts here have been limited to technical advice that is based on factual experience and knowledge. And a good amount has been spent here on DC sparing politics. It's done in lieu of television and helps with my communication skills. And I appreciate the opportunity.<br /><br />I'm almost embarrassed for a melancholy post I made in another topic. And it probably broke my own rule. <br />In this case my need to open up is probably easier with strangers then with people and friends I have to face daily. I'm not wanting sympathy, and I'm not sure why I even have the need. Maybe it's that after 1000 posts one can't always leave important details of your life out.<br />So understand, I have to admit I'm having a hard time.<br /><br />About 6 weeks ago West Nile Virus hit this area for the first time. A week after reports of the dead birds came in I loaded my beautiful caballo<br />"Rocket" to get his vaccination, I bought the follow up booster. Two days after his booster Rocket wasn't feeling so well. The next day had him grinding his teeth, ears flikering, head bobing and weaving. A quick call to the vet, a blood test had him confirmed with WNV. This is where I learned that the vaccination takes 2 months before it's effective.<br />Now it's important to note Rocket is a very unusual, high performance Appy/TB with Citation and Magpie blood. He's a lineback dunn with a blanket. <br />I raised him from an 8 month old colt. As a yearling colt, he and I placed 1st in halter show groundwork. Against people much more experienced in showing then me.<br />In the years that followed Rocket and I trained 4 hours a day for weeks at a time. I had big dreams of entering reining competition. This is slides, spins, side passing. Man! This animal could run in reverse! He was so light and truely a pushbutton horse. <br />Sure, I'd ride with horses that would round up cattle. But if we needed to round up a string of horses up in the hills. Or if a snubber was needed, Rocket was the horse. For 10 years he's been my medicine.<br /><br />Well, Rocket responded real good to the Banadine treatment. He was well into 4 days of a full recovery. Whew! Man, I was the lucky guy again.<br />Last Tuesday Rocket relapsed. The vet layed another banadine injection into the jugular.<br />The neurological effects in his head were gone but now they moved to his hind quarters. I stayed up all that night holding him up. He actually was leaning against me. Fully alert and counting on me as he's done so many times before.<br /><br />One thing about a dog, is that you have unconditional love from them. But with a horse that love is based on trust, it isn't unconditional. And what is tearing me up most of all is how much my horse displays his love for me.<br /><br />He's standing better today then yesterday. But he's not walking as well.<br />I think I'm going to have to dig a big hole soon.<br /><br />My appologys to those who have faced far greater loss then my silly horse. I've faced very few losses in my life.<br />And thanks for allowing my sad storys, I'll keep them rare.

achris

More fish than mountain goat
Re: Very sorry for my melancholy mood

my silly horse
Don't think this way. Because of that trust you talked about, the loss of an animal friend is one of the most painful. Having raised him from 8 months you have every right to feel the way you do (and then some) and anybody who tells you otherwise can simply go to hell. <br /><br />I wish you the best in coping with your loss and if you need someone to talk to, just post. You have many many friends here.<br /><br />Chris...........
7.gif

Link

Rear Admiral

Very well said Chris.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

What Chris said... And I won't go into the explanation of loosing my best friend, Hoser again. But suffice to say, the grief is still with me 8 years later. It's easy to handle now, and only when I think of him. But it's there.<br />As for the intamte personal aspects of your life, hey..You're part of a family here after a while. You talk to the rest of us thru your keyboard. Stephen Hawking (SP) only has a keyboard and a vital, humorous,intelect going for him, and I'm certain, he feels love, grief and the rest of it...and many love him.<br />Your amoung friends here (one for sure now is typing thru a tear in his eye).

Link

Rear Admiral

Normally I would not post twice on a post like this as Chris said it very well. But 12Footer added it very well also.<br />
Your amoung friends here (one for sure now is typing thru a tear in his eye). <br />
YUP and I'm sure it's the same with Chris.. Times that by three 12Footer.. Wiped my eyes the first time around.. and the second.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

Skinny, You are with a special family here. As some of you know I have had a rough time in the past two years. With the loss of a dog and trouble with my son, my friends here re-enforced my thoughts and beliefs on what is right.<br /><br />I feel for you and Rocket. The Mayfloat house will pray for the best for you and Rocket.

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Really sorry about your misery, Skinnywater.<br /><br />You mention the unconditional love of a dog. Yes, our dogs love us because of who they are. . . dogs.<br /><br />If a horse loves you, it is because of who you are.<br /><br />You have had an extraordinary relationship with a friend. Treasure the memories.

LadyFish

Admiral

Skinny, I'm sorry that your faced with this gut wrenching experience. I will pray for you and Rocket.<br /><br />You are indeed among friends here. We share our lives.....joy, celebrations, death and despair. Thats what friends are for.<br /><br />I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers and hope for a good outcome for Rocket.

tylerin

Commander

Skinny, like yourself I live in Ca. and own horses. I've been right where your at on more than one occasion. I hope the best for your horse and your family.

JRJ

Commander

Wife and I wish the best for you and Rocket. Good luck.

PatPatterson

Chief Petty Officer

There's nothing I can say to make you feel better, but I will say I wish your friend Rocket and you the best. I hope you and he can work and play together again.

Copespitter

Petty Officer 3rd Class

For Rockets sake I hope he gets well......

Carphunter

Commander

Skinny, I have posted here long enough to realize that you don't "open up" very often. I know this must be extremely difficult to talk about. Remember though, as others have said, you have many friends here that are sharing in your grief.<br /><br />My prayers are with you and your friend Rocket.

Terry H

Lieutenant Commander

wishing you the best, as is everyone else here...

CoachHolland

Petty Officer 2nd Class

The most sad that a thing on the Net has made me in a while. I know the bond that a horse can bring.<br /><br />A prayer for his recovery. Letting something like that go hurts. I'm hoping you don't have to and enjoy more years with him.<br /><br />Update us with some good news okay?

oddjob

Commander

I pray for you and Rocket, Skinny.<br /><br />Oddjob

gonfishn

Commander

I think we all have been there..Its always good to have friends around you in times of need...<br />Will send one up for you..

pjc

Lieutenant Commander

My Condolences To You Skinnywater. I Believe that a great part of a loved ones Spirit is comprised of the loving and cherished memories that reside in those who are left behind. You surely are a huge part of Rockets Spirit. Bless You.........

Bassy

Lieutenant Commander

We're pulling for Rocket,Skinny. Hope to hear good news about him soon. Prayers are with you and Rocket. <br />Bassy