Very load noise in neutral

Status
Not open for further replies.

Easyrider601

Cadet
I took my boat out yesterday and it ran great. When I took it out just now, the engine makes a really load noise when I am in neutral. The noise goes away when I am forward or reverse. I have a 2005 Q8i with 260 hp Mercruiser. I appreciate any help. You guys have been great.

sarta

Recruit
Re: Very load noise in neutral

Same problem in my 2000 Bayliner 2152 with Mercruiser. HUGE noise in neutral and no noise when in forward or reverse. Drives me insane because the marina mechanic couldn't duplicate the problem; it's not there when he checked the boat. Seems to occur most often when I fill gas tank up all the way and then start the engine. Everyone on the dock stares at the spectacle I'm making. Noise goes away when I shut off engine, wait a bit, and then restart, although sometimes takes a couple of tries to kill the noise. My layman's theory (wild guess) is the shift cable might be wedged between the tank and the hull, thus it binds when tank is full and expands a bit. I'm not worried what it costs, I just want the hugely embarassing and troublesome problem to go away. Ideas or theories warmly welcomed... John L

sarta

Recruit

P.S. I should have also said that the Mercruiser's very loud noise (strange grinding sound) when in neutral also goes away if I pull the shift lever a couple inches in the reverse direction. Also, when the noise situation exists, reverse doesn't engage until about one quarter into the pull, and the grinding noise goes away before that reverse engaged point is reached. It's as though the engagement points for being in gear have moved to a different spot in the normal forward/reverse travel of the lever. Again, the noise is only in the neutral positon; it goes away completely when fully engaged in forward or reverse.

yourboatmyboat

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sounds like the bearing in the gimble at the transom.The stern shaft goes thru the bearing then to the motor

Easyrider601

Cadet

I found the problem. The ignition switch was stuck. When you turn the switch, it was sticking in the full turn position instead of returning to 3/4. I just moved it back after the engine started and the noise went away.
Thanks

sarta

Recruit

Wow! After all this frustration, for both the mechanic and myself. Just a few puffs of graphite powder in the sticky ignition switch and the intermittent noise problem has vanished. Could have saved lots of money and tears... At any rate, many thanks for the solution. John L

spdracr39

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Hopefully it didnt damage your ring gear or starter bendix.

bruce lindemann

Recruit

This sounds just like my issue. Can't wait to try the graphite powder. Replaced starter and solenoid this weekend.:mad:

msdkbow

Recruit
I know this is an old thread but I had to post a reply because this turned out to be my issue as well. A horrible screeching noise that would happen when shifting to neutral. I found this thread and went out to investigate. Turns out, the key was not returning back to the "at rest" position after starting. The strange thing is the screeching didn't happen when the motor was first started (while still in neutral) and didn't happen while in gear. Only when shifting back to neutral after being in gear. Seemed this was an unlikely cause but sure enough I was able to reproduce the noise by putting it in neutral and then turning the key slightly to the right. I then noticed when I started the motor, the key wasn't returning all the way back to the correct position. I was obviously very relieved at such an easy fix.

Status
Not open for further replies.