Valve adjustment on a Mercruiser 3.7 aka 470

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer
Hello again Friends. Things going great with my basket case purchase. Twin 470's no less. (didnt read these forums before i bought but got lucky and it has all the upgrades) Got both motors running (rehabed the impellars and replaced a flapper, had to drill out broken bolts on the exhaust in an impossible position) after rebuilding one carb, 2 complete tune up kits and fluid changes. They are both running cool. One has a loud tap that i am hoping for a valve adjustment. I know these are adjusted by changing the push rod lengths. My question is?

1. How do you know what size it came from the factory with?

I know when i purchase i will be aware of what they are and they are probably even labeled. But
I guess its maybe a stupid newb question, i could buy several sizes and start with the shortest but would like to know how you pros start off.
I know how to set the motor to check the correct valves.

question 2. Lets say the valve gap checks out. I will hope the tapping is not a connecting rod letting loose. Would a second possibility be a lifter beat to sh*t?

question 3 How hard is to change a lifter on one of these gems? I know rtm. Just a quick reply on this one would be cool.

Thank you for all your thoughtful assistance getting me this far.

Pete104

Lieutenant
Re: Valve adjustment on a Mercruiser 3.7 aka 470

You might have a casting plug, in the head, corroded thru that is making the "tappet" noise. Those big ford heads have a couple of them.

wrestling coach

Petty Officer 1st Class

You might have a casting plug, in the head, corroded thru that is making the "tappet" noise. Those big ford heads have a couple of them.

Pete,
Could you explain a little further.

Dennis

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

To clarify, question 1 and the rest were referring to the push rod length. You lost me Pete.

artificialreef

Chief Petty Officer

I finally found a lifter compression tool. Looking at the link stonyloam attached. Can anyone tell me what lengths the dyed and undied pushrods are? I will probably like to purchase several of the longest 2 since i think its a safe bet i wont need the shortest 2.
options are
no dye
red
blue
yellow
thank you for your help. I am very close to getting this planter wet.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Here ya go, right out of the OEM service manual.

Untitled4.jpg

stonyloam

Vice Admiral

If you have the tool, I would put them in and check the lengths first, then buy pushrods if necessary. I think you can get them from your Ford dealer, would probably be less expensive.