FORUM RULES UPDATED - The forum rules have been updated to continue to provide a friendly and safe environment for our member community. Please take a moment to review the updated rules and our terms of use and privacy policy. Click here for Forum Rules which has links to the 'terms of use' and 'privacy policy'.
In Other News . . .
You will notice a few enchancements to the forums to make your experience better. These include: Email Notifications, Thread Previews, Thread Starter Notation, and Emoji Options on the 'Like' icon. . .
Additionally, the merchant portions of the website have been updated and are now operational. . . . Check out iBoats for all your boating gear.
I recently bought a 115 V4, but havnt ran it yet.<br /><br />Now just waiting for boat to be ready. Just wondering: It this a noisy or quiet motor ??<br /><br />If a 2 cyl 60HP looper i Know is noiselevel 5, what would a V4 be like. Any guesses ?
I think it has to do with the position of the driver's seat.<br /><br />The 85hp Johnson I just sold, was the quietest motor Ive ever owned. On the otherhand, My 25hp is the loudest.
I own a '98 model 90 hp 'rude (V4 loop charged)and it is very quiet. Great engine so far. I grew up with mercs which were good engines also but very noisy. The johnnyrudes, to me, were always much quieter at any range.
It depends, G Dane.<br /><br />The cross scavenged engines were noisier than the loopers, and any that has lost noise insulation from inside the bonnet is noisier than with it.<br /><br />As 2 stroke carbed engines go, they aren't particularly noisy.
Thanks for replies. It is a Crossflow, 91.<br /><br />The transom on the boat is that high ( or the splahswell deep that it is possiple to make some kind of lid, covering top of splashwell over the motor, clousing the top. I would attach it with hinges it, allowing motor to tilt up. Guess that would help a bit too. I know - i´m on my way to boat questions now.
my 125 Johnson V 4 is dead quiet, quietest motor I ever heard<br /><br />course<br /><br />thats cause its dead, lol, but boy is it heavy, could hold a battleship in place with that sucker<br /><br />is a 71 125 a looper or a crossflow? or just OLD?<br /><br />I wonder how noisy it will be, lol, I dont care, as long as its noisy all the way back to the dock!!!
Ive had recent experience with exactly both those engines you mention Dane, a twin 60 and a 115 four.<br />In my opinion the 60 was about 20 percent louder on muffs in the driveway, and about the same noise level as the 115 on a sea trial.<br />However, on a sea trial the 60s noise sounded very similar to a tractor, while the 115 sounded more like a purring two stroke moto cross bike, if you know what i mean.<br />But overall I would say they are both about a 5.<br />regards,<br />dave.