V-P 5.7 Osi won't start, after rough start.

C monkies

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 24, 2010
Messages
4
I have a 2006 Volvo-Penta 5.7 osi with composite outdrive that started and ran really rough for about 1 minute. I killed it and thought I may not be picking up gas since I was still on lift, with drive in water. I was low on fuel on purpose, due to wanting to use up old fuel (with stabil) to put all new in for this season.I put 4 gallons of fresh ethanol free fuel and let it sit, did some reading on the internet. powered up the fuel pump for 2-3 secs at a time, and tried to start it but would not.

I went to Auto-Zone and borrowed their fuel pressure tester and tested on the relief valve on the fuel rails and got 60 psi. when I disconnected the schrader valve, fresh gas (small amt) came out.

I also checked the safety kill switch, was in and connections were OK. When I tried to start all gauges jumped, and the tach would range from 1000-1500 rpms.

What else should I check, i will check the fuel filter this week. BTW the boat only has 37 hours on it. It is located in Charlotte Harbor Fl with trips out into gulf (always flush with Neutra-Salt).

Thanks in advance
Clint
 

BILL INGRAHAM

Seaman
Joined
Jul 7, 2009
Messages
52
Re: V-P 5.7 Osi won't start, after rough start.

pull spark plugs and do a quick read-dark brown and light brown ok-black not ok-if sooted up from low old fuel you can burn off the soot with a propane torch. done this several times on vp's-carbed or injected-smoothens things right out.
 

C monkies

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
May 24, 2010
Messages
4
Re: V-P 5.7 Osi won't start, after rough start.

Thanks Bill

I will check plugs today, will probably replace also, not 100% on part # equivalent, looks to be NGK TR5IX.

I also realized I checked the fuel pressure at the relief valve and I will check at high and low pressure today. I will also pull filter and add fuel before re-installing.
 
Top