V-hull or Tri-hull

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class
OK, so, I'm looking through Craigslist and eBay for a starter/project boat.

Here is my criteria:
1 - 17' - 19'
2 - seating for 7-8 (half adults/teenagers, half little kids) (so probably a bowrider?)
3 - enough power to pull a tube (or skis if someone learns)
4 - under $400 to start (pref MUCH under. I have a little more; but want some to start resto)
5 - easy for a newb to operate

I'm seeing a lot of tri-hulls out there; but my buddy (who got me interested in boats) says they handle like dogs. (Of course he has a 21' Baja)

Someone please tell me whether it matters for my use which type I get.

jcsercsa

Captain
Re: V-hull or Tri-hull

OHH No a tri-hull is a great boat , but it where your going to use it ?? in a big lake where there lots of swells a tri-hull will beat you to death !! but like you said your taking kids , there allways moving around and a tri-hull is very stable !!

I love mine but i use it on smaller lakes . and running i got enough motor to get on top and she just flys over it 2 foot chop !! John

jonesg

Admiral

I would want 18feet and 150 hp.
$400 might buy you a trailer or a project boat that needs a complete gut job.
You're looking at $2k-3000 one way or the other.
Find a $800 boat and it will need $1200 worth of DIY rebuilding.
Tri hull is ok, I have a cathedral hull, same as tri hull, its alright.

One the big mistakes new boaters make is assuming a boat is a recreational vehicle, it isn't. They require much work to get right and keep right, its not a question of just turn the key and go, they can be very dangerous.

Be very wary if you don't know boats, a lot of them will look fantastic but beneath the surface they are rotted to mush, transoms and stringers are very often completely shot. Not sure where you're located but around here (Boston) I could go out today and grab 10 boats free...on trailers with engine no less. Project boats should come with the title or forget it.

If you don't mind spending some money for supplies and enjoy DIY to save money you're in the right place here.
I paid $700 for a 20foot center console on a trailer, $1500 for 150 hp outboard and $1500 for materials to do the boat over.

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

I think it's time you joined the Starcraft cult, I mean club ;)

Caravandaddy

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Sorry, I should have mentioned, the boat will be primarily used on KY lake, the OH River, and possibly some smaller lakes. We are located in the SW tip of Indiana. Also, I have driven a boat before, just never owned one. I grew up with sailboats as a child (yes my dad is one of those).

Thanks for the input. EZ, I have been looking at Starcraft, both Vs and tris. Are they all Aluminum or are some fiberglass?

ezmobee

Supreme Mariner

They make both. But their glass boats are nothing particularly special. Where you live, they should be plentiful as they are made in Indiana.

boatflipper

Chief Petty Officer

I too would go with a tri-hull. The one I am currently restoring has a very large bow area, compared to v-hulls. As already said you can probably find one on a trailer, and possibly with an old motor, for free. If you find one for a couple hundred just be straight with the guy. Say "I really dont have a lot of money to spend... If you don't get any interest in this boat, give me a call and I will haul it away for free if you like becasue if you take it to the dump, it will cost you money to get rid of it."
Hope this helps you out a bit.

eaglejim

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I grew up on tri-hulls,I have a 15ft tri now with a 60rude plenty of power for skiing and tubing picked it up for 300 and put 1200 in it.The funny thing was I watched that boat for 2 years turn green and one day the owner was out in the yard and I turned my truck around and asked him if he would wash my boat:D 30 minutes later it was mine :D