Using Torque Wrench to Remove Head Bolts?

minuteman62-64

Lieutenant
Maybe a dumb question, but, I'm wondering if I could use my ratcheting torque wrench to try removing head bolts with out shearing them off. For example, if the torque spec. for my head bolts is 18-25 ft. lbs. and I set my ratcheting torque wrench to maybe 10% over (28 ft. lbs.?) and try to back a bolt out, would the clicking of the wrench give a warning before the bolt sheared? Then I'd know additional torque would risk shearing them off and could explore using heat or other alternatives?

matt167

Captain
Re: Using Torque Wrench to Remove Head Bolts?

If you were going to do that, I would set the torque wrench as high as it would go. If it clicks and you keep torquing , it's time for a new torque wrench

hall832

Petty Officer 1st Class

Head bolts usually your safe with not shearing off, unless it was submerged. I have stripped the threads and had to tap out and heli-coil. If they are going to shear then then its gonna happen. you can try the obvious ways spray them down and let it soak in for a while or just a 1/4-1/2 turn at a time but like i said if they are going to not much you can do.

Last edited:

foodfisher

Captain

Good thought! I'm going to use that on the next tough bolt. Then penetrating fluid, tapping with a hammer (incl. impact wrench), heat, cursing,...anything but drilling and tapping.

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

well for sure the first few bolts will come out fine and the last two will get you....

Bob_VT

Moderator & Unofficial iBoats Historian
Staff member

Remove the bolts is reverse torque order and try to do every bolt evenly........ do not just remove an entire bolt then move to the next....loosen them in reverse order

Sea Rider

Supreme Mariner

Just use a standard proper size wrench and un bolt them evenly, not fully out individually as indicated. If bolts are severely salt seized will need to heat them up as soaking them with whatever you please probably won't penetrate deep on thread to soften seizure. Will end breaking their heads off, worst scenario breaking them evenly to crankcase which is bad music.-

Happy Boating

limitout

Banned

always use an impact driver to "break loose" any bolts in aluminum or more often then not you will shear some off or strip out some threads.

aluminum will bond to steel bolts and it takes a shock to break this bond so it can release and unscrew as it should.

there are small hand held impact drivers you can get at any auto store that are life savers for working on aluminum engines big or small

this is what they look like here: Sears.com

Last edited: