Using 2 1/2 Yr. Old Boat Gas?

Maclin

Admiral
LB, since you are worried about it I would get rid of it and replace with fresh IF you are going to go boating soon. I know you do not want to lose the "investment" in that fuel, but also know you do not want to have to go thru the engine again. 6 of one (replace fuel) and 3,000 of the other (engine problems).

WIMUSKY

Staff member
"IMO", I would get rid of the old gas just for peace of mind. I would rather not take a chance of being stranded someplace on the water. Not worth it in my book. Especially since we're only talking 1/4 tank. Sounds like only 10 gals, $30/$40. Start out fresh... Yes, I would dump it in mowers etc, probably not in my daily driver.... :)

Last edited:

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner
I am absolutely amazed you stuck a valve, after some of the crap we put in our tanks in Iraq and Afghanistan!
Okay

fish2.gif
popcorn.gif
laser.gif
yield.gif

Maclin

Admiral
I was going by the OP's name, LuvBoating and how far removed that is from LuvEngineWork or LuvTo GetStranded, :)

bassman284

Commander
Interesting thread. Seems like everyone in it got different information out of the OP.

Watermann

Starmada Splash of the Year 2014
Just go out on the lake and have the admiral drive since your shoulder is bum. Then blame it on her if the motor takes a dump. :lol:

Seriously though when you have to add an 'if' or 'maybe' then it's not worth the bother, drain and refill.your tank.

mikeneal

Senior Chief Petty Officer
Boats of your age have open fuel systems , which means they are vented to the environment. Gas of that age with ethanol has sucked up a TON of water because it's hydroscopic. Stabilizing won't do anything to change that. 1/4 tank isn't that big of a hit. Pump it out and dispose of it . (My local waste management accepts it). No way I would fish it in my boat, truck or anything I cared about.

snowman48047

Petty Officer 1st Class
"In Jan 2013, filled tank with 40 gallons of Regular gas, but still had around 1/4 of a tank of gas left"

If I read this correctly, the OP is talking about 50-60 gallons of now 2.5 year old gas, maybe $150 to $240 bucks. Still not worth the potential damage.

UncleWillie

Captain
Instead of just guessing and basing your decision on "Ethanol Mythology", Test It!
Pull a sample into a jar and give it a good shake.
If it is cloudy, it has water in it. That can be dealt with by adding a water treatment or diluting with fresh E-10.
If it is clear you are good to go!
If it is Amber and will hold a "Foam Head" for more than 5 seconds, it is oxidized and "Gummed Up". Further evaluation would be needed.

BadGas1.jpg

I have a sample of gas that is now 4 years old and it is still looking and testing good.
Don't guess, Test it!

WIMUSKY

Staff member
^^^^^^^^ That sounds fine. But if it isn't clear on the first sample, dump it...... Unless you want to mess around getting old gas to work.....JMO

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Then you can bet your engine on the highly technical 'shake it in a jar' test.......

Eh not me...

gm280

Supreme Mariner
WOW, who would have thought that a thread about gas would take on such opinions and ill feelings. I mean it is about 40 gallons of gas. Maybe $160 dollars of gas. If the OP want to try it, that is his prerogative. If not, remove it and replace with fresh. But to argue with each others OPINIONs is amazing. We will all do what we personally think is okay and right and other folks' opinions won't matter... Wishing everybody a wonderful day. There are more important things in this world to worry about then who is right and who is wrong about old gas... :smile: :thumb:

WIMUSKY

Staff member
WOW, who would have thought that a thread about gas would take on such opinions and ill feelings. I mean it is about 40 gallons of gas. Maybe $160 dollars of gas. If the OP want to try it, that is his prerogative. If not, remove it and replace with fresh. But to argue with each others OPINIONs is amazing. We will all do what we personally think is okay and right and other folks' opinions won't matter... Wishing everybody a wonderful day. There are more important things in this world to worry about then who is right and who is wrong about old gas... :smile: :thumb:

Not really arguing, just trying to make sure the OP doesn't get stranded. At least not because of bad gas....... And the only way to make sure a person has good gas is to start out fresh........:)

Last edited:

UncleWillie

Captain
The Op has stated that he does not have the Finances, or the Inclination to replace the "Old" Gas unless it is Absolutely necessary. The only way to determine if the gas in his tank is Good or "Bad" is to test it.

Consider the following statements....
ALL Gas, less than One year old, no mater how it is stored, is Good.
ALL Gas, over Two years old, no mater how it is stored, is Bad.

If you conclude that both statements are False; The conclusion is that ...
Gas less than one year Old May be Bad. and ... Gas over Two years Old May be Good.
In other words, The age of the Gas has little bearing on its viability and Gas of any age May be Good Or Bad. Who knows?

One thing that is lacking in the whole debate, is the definition of "Bad."
Some people have stated that any gas older than 30 days is Bad. Based on what?
Without a definition of Good or Bad there is no basis of discussion.

I have proposed that Gas that is clear and will not hold a "Foam Head" for more than 5 seconds is Good.
It is a simple test that anyone with minimal skills can perform any zero cost. What more can you ask?
The alternative is to dispose of whatever quantity of gas you may have, that is more than a few weeks old,
on the off chance that it may destroy your engine if you were to use it.

I am willing to entertain any other definition of Good/Bad, along with a way of determining that same condition, that anyone wished to supply.

coolbri70

Lieutenant Commander
:pop2:these threads are fun to read,:fencing: got that drama factor:argue: an hurt feelin's:fish::frown-new: going on. remember when gas lasted, those were tha days

I would stick a hose in and siphon out as much as possible and use it in the truck. The truck will burn it just fine, even if it is a bit old. Carbs can be more picky. I wouldn't worry about getting out every last drop of the old gas, when you fill it up with fresh it will water it down enough.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral
Wrong.... Old varnished gas will cause more issues with fuel injection than carbs and if it's bad in one engine it's bad in another....

His fuel is only 2.5 years old. It will be fine. Plus if he's burning it in the truck he will likely be watering it down with fresh fuel as well.