used trailers

bonz_d

Vice Admiral
Re: used trailers

What are cost of trailers according to sizes?

Cost of trailers is more relative to condition than size. A very nice 16' trailer would be worth much more than a worn out, rusted 20' trailer.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

I've never been ale to find a single used trailer for sale.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Then you sre looking in the wrong places or are not looking very hard.

I admit to losing hope when google fails to produce a result. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Piece715

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Welcome to Iboats eddy! Where ya from?! This can be helpful in giving ya an estimate. I live in AR and can tell ya when I shopped for trailers for 16' boat they had a range of price based on condition. Craigslist was definitely the best source and prices around for me. For a rusted out full redo trailer i could prob pick one up around here for $200-$300 + or -..... Now i did just score a nice low slung trailer that only needs bunk replacement and touch up paint for $440 with a free tow-able thrown in. Again it's all gonna depend on condition and location. If ya state where ya from and what type of trailer you're looking for I'm sure some people around ur area could chime in and give ya a reasonable estimate. The pics are of the that $440 trailer to give ya an idea of condition

2012-02-08_09-26-34_44.jpg 2012-02-08_09-27-04_722.jpg 2012-02-08_09-26-46_928.jpg

Home Cookin'

Fleet Admiral

Assumiong we're talking about used trailers:

In addition to Craigslist and other classified, try the used boat dealers especially the boat junk yards. Our local "poor man's boat yard" is stuffed full of used trailers.

Another source is the trailer under all the free boats they advertise. Or the charity auctions--b/c people dump their junk boats on them.

Might check trailer dealers and trailer shops; they may take used ones in on trade.

As for cost, condition is #1. A dual axle is either more to buy or more to fix up due to brakes. Power winches often don't affect the price of an old trailer even though they sell used $100-150 and new $500. A steel trailer has no value on the coast.

lakelover

Rear Admiral

I see them all the time on craigslist, in fact I bought one of mine locally from an ad there for a good price. Shop around and be prepared to take some time doing it and you almost can't help but come across a good deal somewhere.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

I'll keep looking. They are few and far between up here where the pop. is way more sparse than the US. No big boat yards, etc. But thanks for the tips, I have found much better results on Craigslist than google.

eddyjas

Cadet

A million thanks to all have provided me such a valuable information about cost of used trailers.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I admit to losing hope when google fails to produce a result. Any suggestions would be welcome.

Where would you expect to look for a used car for example? One logical source would be any NEW CAR dealer. Well -- the same logic applies to used boat trailers. You look at any BOAT DEALER or MARINA. You do that from the comfort of your chair by Googling BOAT DEALERS, or (insert your state or city) BOAT DEALERS. Nearly all of them has a "Used Equipment" button on their web page.

Sunsetrider

Petty Officer 1st Class

Where are you located?

I am in a sparsely populated area of eastern Ontario . . . but in a land of 5,000 lakes. I am going to start popping into marinas, asking around. My thinking is if I can find a source for a low-price trailer it opens up the possibility for a better deal on a used boat, one being sold without trailer.

gtochris

Senior Chief Petty Officer

I see people trying to push complete crap on craigslist for $1,000+! they describe it so highly then I see the pictures and it's in such a POS I'd be so turned off.

I eventually bought a brand new (at the time) 2010 5 Star Galvanized bunk with torson axle, diamond plate fenders, disc brakes and a high capacity for $1,800 OTD.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I am in a sparsely populated area of eastern Ontario . . . but in a land of 5,000 lakes. I am going to start popping into marinas, asking around. My thinking is if I can find a source for a low-price trailer it opens up the possibility for a better deal on a used boat, one being sold without trailer.

That philosphy generally puts you in a situation where you find a deal on a boat that doesn't fit your trailer. Logic says to buy a boat and trailer that are made for each other. You then look for just one deal -- not two that may not play well together.

bonz_d

Vice Admiral

I see people trying to push complete crap on craigslist for $1,000+! they describe it so highly then I see the pictures and it's in such a POS I'd be so turned off.

So true yet I have found some real bargins on CL also. The trailer I'm using now I found on CL. It's a 1989 Spartan R16 roller. Paid $250.00 for it. The paint was a crappy brown repaint and the lights didn't work, tires are in good condition and all the rollers were in VG condition. Disassembled it, sanded it down real well and a new coat of paint. Repacked the bearing, added lights and al is good. Have less than $300.00 invested. Also there was no rust just ugly brown paint.

Then there is the boat that is sitting on it which I also found on CL. That is a 1984 Lund S14-DLX with factory side console. I found that with a trailer less an engine for $395.00 and didn't even try to haggle with the seller!

Now just last week I missed out on a 1991 Smokercraft 16" with trailer that needed a transom, engine and enterior work for a mear $400.00, sold before I could get there!