Used Pontoon Purchase--Help!

nuboater

Seaman Apprentice
First of all, a big thank you for all the info the forum members have given me while I was lurking for several years.
I'm close to a used pontoon purchase and new some specific advice on one I'm getting ready to look at.
2005 Suntracker Party Barge 21 w/ a merc 60 hp Big Foot. Has a single axle trailer w/surge brakes. About 100 hours..Price of 12K seems high, but I think he will consider offers.
Here's my problem..The boat is 250 miles away, and there is likely no chance for a wet test. We can run it on earmuffs. One thing I've learned here is never buy without getting on the water and have a marine mech check it. I doubt I can do either. So my question is, what do I look for under these circumstances.
Issue #2...The bank is holding the title/s. How do I handle this? I'm thinking we need to go to his bank together and do a payoff. I'm hoping this is a local bank. I don't know what to do if it happens to be out of town.
Would appreciate all your ideas.

Jeep Man

Commander
Re: Used Pontoon Purchase--Help!

Good pick for a toon (at least in my opinion) Just picked up an '08 Sun Tracker Regency with your same motor. Pontoons, unlike regular regular hulls do not hide problems as well as regular hulls. Most problems can be checked whether on the water or off, the exception being leaks. Being an '05, age isn't an issue. If the toons are free of major dents, it shouldn't be an issue. Floor rot shouldn't be a problem but check it thoroughly. The fellow I bought my motor from was a certified Merc technician and gave me the 411 on these motors. The fuel pump were a source of a problem as an internal rod had a tendency to stick and cause some intermittent problems at mid throttle. New replacement fuel pumps have the problem eliminated. So, you might be in for this repair, but I don't believe it's a big deal. A new impeller is due if it hasn't been done already (regular maintenance). Hearing it run on the earmuffs will be OK if you can't get it in the water. Check to ensure all the electrical is in good working order, and check that everything is in good condition.
As far as the bank goes, I'd go to the bank FIRST and ask them what they need. Getting a letter from them stating they have no liens on it is also good insurance. If you can't go to his bank, go to yours. Their procedures would be the same.