Upholstery Question 1

duhmey

Seaman
Is anyone familiar with how they may have installed these side panels at the factory?

It almost appears as though they installed the plywood first using 1/4-20 x 2 inch machine screws and then stapled the foam and upholstery on afterwards but this does not seem reasonable. All they plywood is rotted and I would like to repair it if I can figure out how to reattach it.

Thanks!

Attachments

• P1010530.JPG
    P1010530.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 15
  • P1010531.JPG
    P1010531.JPG
    1.8 MB · Views: 14
  • P1010532.JPG
    P1010532.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 15
  • P1010533.JPG
    P1010533.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 15
  • P1010534.JPG
    P1010534.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 15

tpenfield

Staff member
It could be 'Z' Brackets . . . See illustration.

It is a common technique for backrests and sidewall cushions & bolsters. Look along the lower edge for a metal 'hold-down' strap.

Z-brackets-3.png

Chris1956

Supreme Mariner
My old SeaRay used tee nuts. My newer SeaSwirl uses garelick clips.

If you can reach behind the cushion, check for 1/4-2 bolts that go thru the fiberglass and screw into the tee nuts in the plywood of the cushion.

Alternatively, lift straight up on a cushion to unhook it from the garelick clip.

tank1949

Lieutenant Commander
My old SeaRay used tee nuts. My newer SeaSwirl uses garelick clips.

If you can reach behind the cushion, check for 1/4-2 bolts that go thru the fiberglass and screw into the tee nuts in the plywood of the cushion.

Alternatively, lift straight up on a cushion to unhook it from the garelick clip.
My old boat's t nuts were steel. I found 1/4" X 20 ss ONLINE.

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
on my 1999 Maxum SR 1800 it appears to have studs that come out of the backing of the back rests and held with nuts ,
it really does look like the back rests were put there when the deck was off the boat so i did not force the issue to take them of when i was restoring the boat.
i may have to take a look for Z brackets or garelick clips (anyone have a description of this clip ?).

OP , thanks, good thread :) i may now be able to get the back rest off the Maxum to clean there now if it does not have what i assessed to be stud and nut put in place while the deck was off to hold them there.

duhmey

Seaman
Alright!

Z brackets, huh? I will have to see if I can find anything to support that. The only thing that makes me question this are the lack of metal z brackets on the exposed starboard side where the panel has come off leaving just the heads of the machine screws visible but I am optimistic that this is the case.

I know for sure that it was not t nuts, I will look a little closer for the clips but seeing as how the head of the machine screw was covered by the cushion I do not see how they would have tightened them. T nuts might be the method I use to reinstall them...time will tell.

Quick thought....looking at the one picture posted above where one can see the machine screw, does it not look like they put the machine screw through the plywood, tightened a nut against the plywood, upholstered around it and then tightened it against the boat using another nut on the other side of the fiberglass? I will have to look next time I am at the boat. Assuming this is the case it does me no good given the condition of the bolts and nuts, they are so rusted they need to be cut or otherwise and will be no good for reinstallation.

Thank you all for the help!

duhmey

Seaman
Alright, that is exactly what they did; they put the 1/4-20 screw through the plywood, tightened a nut against that, ran it through the fiberglass and tightened that down with a nut and fender washer.

Stresspoint and others, I hope this helps you out!

Attachments

• upholstery hardware.JPG
    upholstery hardware.JPG
    1.7 MB · Views: 3

stresspoint

Lieutenant Junior Grade
that is how i think they have done my back rests , PIA as i cant bend like a pretzel to get a spanner on the nots to get them.

my boat is stored for winter ATM , as soon as i get to it i will check for Zbrackets and update your thread with pics or description, that way your thread will help others to see how upholstery can be attached.

duhmey

Seaman
that is how i think they have done my back rests , PIA as i cant bend like a pretzel to get a spanner on the nots to get them.

my boat is stored for winter ATM , as soon as i get to it i will check for Zbrackets and update your thread with pics or description, that way your thread will help others to see how upholstery can be attached.
Love it