Up or down when trailering

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I was just reading on here about that the motor should be up when on the trailer. I have a 2000 Johnson 25hp 3cylinder on a 14ft Lund. The motor is very heavy. I have been driving with it down because I thought that when it's up it looks like it bounces more than when it's down and I was afraid of it cracking the back of my boat. Am I doing this wrong, is there less stress when it's up?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Lots will argue, but I say trailer with it down unless there is danger of it hitting the road. If the transom can't stand it, how about the stress of when 25 horses are shoving on it?

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I worry about that too but no cracks yet. When I take off you can hear a bit of creaking

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
If the Engine can be Imobilized by either a Lock, or Hydraulics, then up is fine, if the engine can bounce around, then a Transom Saver can be used. If the motor is immobilized, and I mean immobilized, by Locks or Hydraulics, do not use what now becomes a Transom Breaker

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
It will lock halfway up and all the way up and all the way down. It looks like it bounces less when it's down.

airshot

Rear Admiral
It will lock halfway up and all the way up and all the way down. It looks like it bounces less when it's down.
With it down do you have plenty of road clearance??? Is so then no problem. Most folks tilt up to give more road clearance!!

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wouldn't say alot but it's never hit anything yet. Usually it's just a 15min ride to the lake. Sometimes go to cousins cottage 1hour away hills and dirt roads and it's been fine. But if its less stress on the boat with it up I will start putting it up.

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
I wouldn't say alot but it's never hit anything yet. Usually it's just a 15min ride to the lake. Sometimes go to cousins cottage 1hour away hills and dirt roads and it's been fine. But if its less stress on the boat with it up I will start putting it up.
It is a long shaft too.

airshot

Rear Admiral
Whether it is up or down doesnt change the stress factor. A motor that cant bounce up and down while trailering is what reduces stress!! I tilt my motor up to get about 16-18" of ground clearance for the skag. With it all the way down I have about 12" which would be fine as long as I dont have any steep inclines to contend with. If your motor does not have a power trim to hold it, you need something to hold it in place so it doesnt bounce up and down!!

Ronniewhite

Petty Officer 2nd Class
No power trim. So I will just keep doing what I have been doing. Thx 2 everyone