Unrealistic Expectations

waterone1@aol.com

Lieutenant Junior Grade
Re: Unrealistic Expectations

Not sure if this is accurate...but I heard on one news station, that they opened up the jails and prisons to let the convicts out ?? Did they not have warning of this disaster ? Did they not think about where they could MOVE prisoners to? Did they really just "let them out" ?

Dunaruna

Admiral

Originally posted by waterone1:<br /> Not sure if this is accurate...but I heard on one news station, that they opened up the jails and prisons to let the convicts out ??
I saw a similar news report last night (24hrs ago), the helicopter cameras showed hundreds of prisoners being herded out of the buildings and onto a raised bridge. The reporter said that there were not enough guards to supervise (how he knew that I don't know). <br /><br />Aldo

PW2

Commander

The real problem in the media coverage is that there is no 'Guliani' stepping up to take control of the situation that the TV cameras can focus on and say "Things are bad, but we are getting them under control" and inspire confidence.<br /><br />In a vacuum of leadership, we are only hearing the "this is bad" part.

Limited-Time

Vice Admiral

This is the same media that stated the "clean up" after the 911 attacks would take YEARS. If it doesn’t get your attention/them ratings, why would they bother reporting it??? Saw some talking head Barbie on CNN interviewing a lower level Gov. Official; she was grilling him on why/how it was taking so long to deliver aid and assistance to the area. She wanted to know how long until the National Guard arrived to back up the Police Dept. in NO. After stating the Guard had deployed 2800 men in two days and another 1400 were due in this eve, effectively quadrupling the Police in 3 days, Barbie had the nerve to ask what the hold up was??? Another station reported an Army air drop of MRE’s and water for those gathered at the convention center, followed by, but it was not enough. The follow up report stated there were only 12 MRE,s dropped at that time…..give me a break, why would Army even bother dropping 12 MRE’s?????.........unless they belonged to the crew of the helicopter. BTW I'm with ya ee done with the talking heads.

matthews_jim

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Look everyone – you and I are seeing the same media that hasn’t shown (or very little) good things that are taking place in Iraq.<br /><br />Those that are in charge, if any, should take the approach if you’re not helping us then you are hurting us. Kick all media out if y\they are not going to help. I believe in freedom of the press but not when it is one sided. I do want to applauded the newsman I saw run to the aid of the man that drove off the road and his car started going under but shame on his camera man.<br /><br />I have a co-worker that the majority of her relatives live in NO. She just found out (Thursday mid-morning) that everyone is alive. One of her sisters’ home is/was less than a mile from the break in the level. She told us most everything any of them (all her relatives in NO) had is gone but they all are so thankful that everyone is alive. She said they are not pointing fingers or complaining but thankful that the family members are OK.<br /><br />Sorry for the ranting and raving but the news media has really ticked me off.<br /><br />God, please help us all and let Your mercy flow upon all of us. Let the good like what I saw in Central Florida last year be seen by all. <br /><br />I know there are people rising up and helping others. God bless them.

oddjob

Commander

I'm glad to wake up and read this thread...it spot on!....I herd that stupid racist Mayor demanding cussing and yelling in reference to Iragi aid that they got our money lickity SPICK!<br /><br />If I mispelled the Spick part then he mispoke. He must be hooked on EBonics!

Ralph 123

Captain

The press in this country are completely out of control and out of touch. They make bad situations worse. They make it far less likely anyone will ever take on a tough job or position because who needs to be demonized like that when you're breaking your back to help? They are going to be our downfall.<br /><br />One NO citizen with some sense just said, "we all need to calm down and let them do their job" the reporter quickly cut him off. They only want people crying in the camera and pointing fingers.

KaGee

Admiral

now that is surprising to me. that gov must have her hand on some brass balls dam how refreshing to hear something like that off the MSM. i bet there are already board meetings on it at the ACLU
Day late and a dollar short. Look at Haley Barbor in Mississippi... said it plain and simple from the get go. Mississippi does not have the problems as a result. Now that's a brass pair.

kenimpzoom

Rear Admiral

I think there will be a lot of "lessons learned" for this expereince. We have never had an evacuation of this magnitude.<br /><br />And you right, the media sucks. All they do is stirr the pot.<br /><br />Ken

Gold Bear

Petty Officer 1st Class

I am listening to a radio station in New Orleans. One man said that hundreds of buses came and went yesterday. The problem is that when one bus load of people leaves, two bus loads of people show up.<br /><br />The new media is trying to make it sound like the efforts to help these people is not sufficient. FEMA and others are still gearing up. It sounds like the same kind of tune they (the news media)are singing about Iraq, just a different verse. I can't help but wonder what the verse would be if Clinton was still in office?<br /><br />Regards,<br />Gold Bear

Ralph 123

Captain

It would be "what a wonderful effort by the Feds & Admin" Gold Bear. You know that ;)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

From what I read, it seems everyone is in agreement that all this is the media's fault. Since that's the case, why doesn't everyone do what ee says he's doing - just not watching. <br /><br />If you don't like the flavor of Kool-Aid that's being served, don't drink it. If you choose to drink it, don't complain about it.<br /><br />I suggest that everyone just tune-in Rush and you'll get all the unbiased news you need.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Originally posted by waterone1:<br /> Did they not have warning of this disaster ?
don't know about the prisoners, but I do know that Tulane University closed up & evacuated students two days in advance...friend of mine in Dallas hosted about 25 of his daughter's friends for a day or two til they could get flights home from DFW

eeboater

Commander

Damn. I have been in KS all week so I have been unable to listen to Rush... I figured he'd be talking about it but I've been too nutso to get to it.<br /><br />I'll check him out next week.<br /><br />Sean

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by jtexas:<br />friend of mine in Dallas hosted about 25 of his daughter's friends for a day or two til they could get flights home from DFW
I wouldn't mind 25 college girls staying at my house. Pillow fight anyone?<br /><br /><br />(It's a tragic situation, I just thought a litte humor was in order :D )