unplug lights?

gstanton

Chief Petty Officer
Re: unplug lights?

Maybe 12v won't carry very far in water, but it certainly will blow a fuse if the connector goes below the water line.

Like others, I unplug, but it's out of an old, old, old habit.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Maybe 12v won't carry very far in water, but it certainly will blow a fuse if the connector goes below the water line.

Like others, I unplug, but it's out of an old, old, old habit.

Maybe in saltwater, I don't have much experience with saltwater, but it won't short out in freshwater.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Like I said.....why risk it ????
Just my humble opinion. I am certainly not saying that everyone should. That is personal preference. Do what you think best.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

I don't unplug mine. I have enough stuff to worry about when launching thats more important than bulb life. :rolleyes:

bassboy1

Lieutenant Commander

I always unplugged non LED lights. Forgot to once, and blew half the fuses in the truck. Not fun to drive home without taillights, or dash lights in the middle of the night.

Not too long ago, I bought a couple sets of LEDs for half price when an Advance Auto parts had a moving sale. Never thought I would like them so much, but now I won't have anything different. I leave them plugged in, even in salt. Sure makes nighttime loading easier.

45Auto

Commander

I worry about unplugging my trailer lights about as much as I worry about crawling under my F150 to unplug the taillight harness every time it rains ......

Do you guys also seal off your trailer connectors on your tow vehicle so they won't get wet if they're unplugged from the trailer and it rains? Mine sits on top of the step bumper when it's not plugged in, lots of times in a puddle of water (rains a lot down here in the summer time). Been that way since 1993 and never had a problem.

Philthyphil

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I unplug the connection, but thats just me I even carry spare wheel bearings for the trailer. Habits of an old enduro rider hard to break.

greggholmes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

Do you guys also seal off your trailer connectors on your tow vehicle so they won't get wet if they're unplugged from the trailer and it rains?

actually my plug is inside my suv untill i hook up. i couldnt find the hole thats supposed to let the plug feed outside.

we got snow in june

KeyWestBoater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I usually unplug but have forgotton a couple of times. My boat is 5 months old. When I had the hitch and harness installed the hitch shop warned me to make sure that I did otherwise I would blow the electronic converter module that's part of the hitch harness. It blew once in the 1st week and the shop replaced it at no charge. They said next time would be on me. Last week I saw the same problem again, no right side brake lights on the truck and some lights out on the right side of the trailer which is the same thing that happened before. I will have to replace the module again for I think about
$20. I didn't see any mention of this problem in this thread. Has anyone experienced this? I have a 2003 Highlander and was told that all newer vehicles must use these modules in the harness. I see a lot of folks here don't unplug and all they get are popped bulbs. What do you think?

Thanks! :confused:

gss036

Commander

I aways unplug mine, but I do on occasion forget to plug them back in. I have a round adapter from my truck to the flat 4 pin on the tralier. I now remove the adapter after having my last one stolen while parked in the launch lot. They are on $10-11 but somebody must have needed more than me.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I aways unplug mine, but I do on occasion forget to plug them back in. I have a round adapter from my truck to the flat 4 pin on the tralier. I now remove the adapter after having my last one stolen while parked in the launch lot. They are on $10-11 but somebody must have needed more than me.

I just cut the 4 pin off the trailer and wired on a 7 pin. Nothing to steal

triumphrick

Lieutenant Commander

Never have unplugged em. Went to led's four years ago and yet to have a problem..:cool:

greggholmes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

if people keep breaking my taillights in the parking lot im not popping for leds

Mscanon99

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I forget to unplug about 75% of the time, usually I have two 5 year olds asking me tons of questions and I get distracted.

I blew one of my lights out last fall in salt, but that was the only time and I guess becuase of the very cold water. I really got to figure out a way to remember that part.

Best,

MS

greggholmes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

i unplug them when i loosen the winch strap. the new trailer light cost me 25 bucks and two trips to the dealer. lucky for me its on my way to work. the way i see it, if i can do one little thing to prevent a blown fuse or a broken light then its worth the 3 seconds to do. when i drove my 73 Beetle i had to carry almost enough parts to rebuild the car and all the tools. that got tiresome.

j_martin

Admiral

By the time I quit boating and put it on the trailer, it's so dark I need the lights to find the trailer.

If they're in good shape, it shouldn't hurt. If they aren't, it's time for real repair anyway.

Still has hot bulbs. Next lights will be LED.

John

Shizzy

Ensign

i unplug them when i loosen the winch strap. the new trailer light cost me 25 bucks and two trips to the dealer. lucky for me its on my way to work. the way i see it, if i can do one little thing to prevent a blown fuse or a broken light then its worth the 3 seconds to do. when i drove my 73 Beetle i had to carry almost enough parts to rebuild the car and all the tools. that got tiresome.

ditto, I figure im standing there anyway. 5 extra seconds to save some grief

22E6441

Petty Officer 1st Class

I unplug mine. I couldn't care less about popping a bulb, but electricity and water don't go together, and I'd be worried about blasting the electrics in my van because the water shorted out something in my trailer. The 5 seconds it takes to unplug them is cheap insurance.

I unplug them when I do my pre-launch walk around...which includes taking off my bow safety chain and removing the transom tie downs etc.

I plug them back in when I do my end of the day walk arounud before I drive away.