unplug lights?

rolmops

Vice Admiral
Re: unplug lights?

I used to. Now I have L.E.D. lights and they do not need to be unplugged.

guy74

Senior Chief Petty Officer

The only reason to unplug them is so the hot bulbs (cause your brakelights are on while you back down the ramp) don't come in contact with the cold water and crack. I use to unplug mine to prevent the bulbs breaking, but my new trailer has the lights mounted high enough that they don't go into the water.

Bass Tracker TX17

Petty Officer 1st Class

I never have on this trailer. Sealed units.
Some replacement ones are open on the bottom.
the water does get in but only like 1/2 inch and the pressure keeps the bulbs dry. Interesting concept but in your case nothing would have helped except unplugging.
Not being wise but what happened ??

maxumus

Cadet

I always unplug. I have sealed lights also as others pointed out, but it only takes a moment to unplug to be better safe than sorry. I had other sealed lights and use to unplug them and decided to trust them and somehow(probably a rock)had a crack in one lens and the bulb blew when hit the cold water. It looked like an old dirty crack (i'm talking about the lens still) I think each time I unpluged the water ran out before I plugged wires back in and no cold water to make light brake. When I took light apart I noted some rust on the bulb metal so I had waterover time. Now I unplug everytime and I might try the LED next time I buy new. No one likes to be obvious with a tail light out and get pulled over because I didn't take a few seconds to unplug, especially if you have had some cocktails out on the water.

HONKER1

Petty Officer 1st Class

I unplug mine. Have sealed trailer lights, but old habits are hard to break.

Silvertip

Supreme Mariner

I always unplug them and can't tell you the last time I had to replace a bulb.

ondarvr

Supreme Mariner

I unplug them when I remember and they do last much longer when unplugged. My ticket will be from not plugging them back in.

greggholmes

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I never have on this trailer. Sealed units.
Some replacement ones are open on the bottom.
the water does get in but only like 1/2 inch and the pressure keeps the bulbs dry. Interesting concept but in your case nothing would have helped except unplugging.
Not being wise but what happened ??

some one clipped my light while the trailer was parked at the lot while we where on the water. never park at the end of the row.

http://www.baylinerownersclub.org/forum/showthread.php?t=19407

reelfishin

Captain

I normally only unplug my non-LED lights but find myself still unplugging even them from time to time. I grease the bulb sockets pretty heavy on my regular lights and all connections are soldered and heat shrunk or painted so other than a hot bulb hitting the water, I probably wouldn't have any problems anyway.

NSBCraig

Lieutenant Commander

Never do I unplug my lights, never had a problem.

If your lights are broke from being hit just fix them.

I'm also always in salt water, don't know the last time I was near a lake.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner

I have waterproof* lights and have never unplugged my lights. I have a backing solenoid so I couldn?t unplug them if I wanted to.

The way I look at it a blown bulb represents a catastrophic failure in the lighting system which requires immediate attention. Spare bulbs should be part of your repair kit anyhow so use the blown bulb as an indicator for the need of a repair.

Masking a legitimate problem by unplugging your lights only postpones the inevitable. A simple repair typically turns into a total replacment over time.

*Edited to change from submersible to waterproof after looking at the ratings for my lights

http://shop.easternmarine.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=catalog.prodInfo&productID=4940&categoryID=414

reelfishin

Captain

Many "submersible" trailer light assemblies are simply open bottomed units which expose the bulb to the water when backing in. The problem occurs when the hot bulb hits ice cold water and shatters.
My one trailer that came with that type of light even had a warning to unplug the lights before entering the water. I soon got tired of those lights and replaced them with sealed LED lights but I'm sure there are plenty of that type out there. The idea was that of the upside down glass, in theory, with only an opening on the bottom, no water should rush up into the light but in rough, sloshing water that just isn't the case.

I have a two year old Bandit trailer that still uses that style of light.

45Auto

Commander

Never unplug mine. No problems at all in 8 years.

bruceb58

Supreme Mariner

Never unplug...use sealed bulbs...never a problem in over 20 years.

Nandy

Commander

Never unplug, I guess I have been lucky. LED's for me next time.

SS MAYFLOAT

Admiral

I usually always unplug them. Until submersible lites were available, it was a very good idea. I still do, never know when that plastic will start getting brittle and crack, or if the mower happened to bump into it. Many variables that can cause failure. BTW, I use a utility trailer that has the LED's. They maybe okay with water, but the roadsalt in this area got to one and killed it. It was never submerged.

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

I always unplug. Sealed lights are sealed only as long as the seal is working. You never know when it will fail you for the first time !!!! and I guarantee that when it does it will be at the completely "wrong time"
So unplug it is for me. If I end up with the LED lights I will still unplug as "old habits die hard"

kenmyfam

Supreme Mariner

Bottom line to me is why risk exposing electricity to water ????