Unplug before you dunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

skargo

Banned
Re: Unplug before you dunk?

being wet and being immersed are not the same.... for electrolysis to occur the annode and cathode (positive and negative) need to be immersed in the same water as to have continuity.... also auto manufacturers use wetherpac connectors for a reason... water intrusion into electrical connections is a real concern....

My point through this whole mess has been the same.... no you don't have to unplug if you don't want too but you look foolish if you choose to laugh at someone who does

I only see people pointing at those that leave them plugged in, not the other way around.:confused:

Seems very one sided to me, but what do I know, I'm one of the people who know nothing and leave them plugged in.

Seriously guys, this is silly, it's just like a Chevy/Ford/Dodge thing or an OB vs IO thread.

Do what makes you happy and stop worrying about what the guy next to you is doing. By the crankiness and arguments going on I think many here could use a boat ride. It's the best hobby ever and it's brought all of us together. I'm trying to be nice to everyone, if I can do it, so can anyone.

Now, do I have to use Mercruiser oil in my Mercruiser? :p

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

I only see people pointing at those that leave them plugged in, not the other way around.:confused:

Seems very one sided to me

If this were one sided there wouldn't be 3 pages

son of a "something I can't say here" I need to get on the water.... I wish I had time to get back to work on my boat,

BTW I don't unplug my all led trailers but feel that I ought to

capt sam

Master Chief Petty Officer

Boating forums are the worse for uptight folks, this is prolly one of the more laid back ones, THT is a shooting gallery. People are uptight on the water too, never have figured out why either, they should be relaxing but they operate boats like they want to kill someone.

I do see some guys arguing pretty dumb points, plugged in lights, water in the bilge, geez beaching boats almost started a war. There's some great tech info here, but alot of guys seem to be pretty unable to look at a variety of ways of doing things because that's how they've always done it....pretty naive if you ask me.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

Agreed

kitchen sink, calm down sit back and take a breath..... everyone gets ruffled from time to time..... sometimes things look meaner in type than you mean't them.... Don't give up yet..... this whole thread is silly..... you just can't take it to heart.... read it and figure out another witty way to make a point;)

Knot Waiting

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Boat trailers are suppose to have lights?? j/k

I leave mine plugged in. Just rebuilt my trailer with sealed LEDs, greased and sealed connections. Makes it easier to find center when loading in the dark.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Let's look at it logically....

If you don't unplug, you may have a problem. Doesn't matter if it's a once in a million thing, the operative word is "may".

If you do unplug, you eliminate the possibility of the bulb breaking because its hot or energized. The "do" eliminates the "may".

That answers the OP's question. So, what's to discuss? Its your trailer, do as you wish.

skargo

Banned

To be honest, we could have avoided this altogether if the OP would have searched, this has been discussed Ad infinitum on this forum.

I'm thinking of removing all my lights actually, and just use glow sticks when I use the trailer.

smokeonthewater

Fleet Admiral

look don't just halfdonkey it...... remove the lights and the axle..... that trail of sparks will illuminate the back just fine..... oh crap now we gotta debate transom savers and skid plates.... OOPS!

marlboro180

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Smoke-
Thanks, I needed the laugh!:D

Last edited:

RL Gman

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I saw another thread in this trailering forum that raised the issue that his trailer floated when he backed it in...I guess he has no reason to unplug or view this thread at all :D

Jokes aside, and to the piont of the tread, my lights aren't sealed, and I was under the impression that the air pocked they created kept the water out. I used to unplug, now I dont...not sure if there is a right answer, but I found myself replacing the bulbs every couple of years regardless of the technique. Just part of the fun when you take a road vehicle and stick it underwater...

skargo

Banned

look don't just halfdonkey it...... remove the lights and the axle..... that trail of sparks will illuminate the back just fine..... oh crap now we gotta debate transom savers and skid plates.... OOPS!
Sweet, no more need for tires and bearings. I was thinking of doing away with the trailer altogether!

45Auto

Commander

JimS123 said:
Let's look at it logically....

If you don't unplug, you may have a problem. Doesn't matter if it's a once in a million thing, the operative word is "may".

If you do unplug, you eliminate the possibility of the bulb breaking because its hot or energized. The "do" eliminates the "may".

Unfortunately, your logic chain is incomplete (what you're trying to do is known in the aerospace industry as a "fault tree"). It should read:

If you don't unplug, you MAY have a problem with one bulb but at least all of your other lights will work. Doesn't matter if it's a once in a million thing, the operative word is "may".

If you do unplug, you eliminate the possibility of one bulb breaking because its hot or energized but you add the CERTAINTY that none of your lights will work if you forget to plug them back in. The "do" eliminates the "may" of the bulb breaking, but adds the certainty of loosing all of your lights through human error.

Human failure in this case is probably much more likely (and much more dangerous) than the mechanical failure of a single bulb. If you're flying a plane or space ship, you'll take the 1 in a million possibility of minor partial failure due to mechanical problems over the more likely possibility of a total failure due to human error any day.

JimS123

Fleet Admiral

Unfortunately, your logic chain is incomplete (what you're trying to do is known in the aerospace industry as a "fault tree"). It should read:

If you don't unplug, you MAY have a problem with one bulb but at least all of your other lights will work. Doesn't matter if it's a once in a million thing, the operative word is "may".

If you do unplug, you eliminate the possibility of one bulb breaking because its hot or energized but you add the CERTAINTY that none of your lights will work if you forget to plug them back in. The "do" eliminates the "may" of the bulb breaking, but adds the certainty of loosing all of your lights through human error.

Human failure in this case is probably much more likely (and much more dangerous) than the mechanical failure of a single bulb. If you're flying a plane or space ship, you'll take the 1 in a million possibility of minor partial failure due to mechanical problems over the more likely possibility of a total failure due to human error any day.

Ever heard of "failure mode analysis"? If you're flying a spaceship you consider every possible occurrence, no matter how remote, and address that to the fullest. Remember ole' Murphy.

Obviously, lights on a trailer, in comparison, are inconsequential.

The thread is concered with whether you NEED to unplug or not. If the human factor comes into play because you forgot to plug it back in then you violated the very basics of pulling a trailer, i.e., going thru the proper checklist before hitting the road.

Just too many excuses in this day and age. "I forgot", "I didn't know" Nobody ever wants to take responsibility any more.

Status
Not open for further replies.