Unplug before you dunk?

Status
Not open for further replies.

airdvr1227

Lieutenant Commander
I haven't been worrying about that lately. Not having any troubles with it either.

cpubud

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Unplug before you dunk?

very seldom do I remember to unplug and I have not had any problems.y trailer lights are all led though.

a70eliminator

Captain

I used to religiously unplug lights but now I'm getting old and lazy and I like watching the lights glow underwater, my people sometimes call out hey you forgot to unplug your lights and I'll say oops crap just let me know if they quit working ok. the worst that can happen is a bad seal floods the lamp with water and the hot bulb pops when cold water hits it, but either way if the lamp is flooded your going to plug the harness back in anyways so what's the dif.

badbowtie

Chief Petty Officer

I have all sealed lights that are led and I never unplug them. I unplugged them one time and drove a hour and half home to find out I forgot to hook them back up.

diesel5599

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I don't have a choice anymore. My truck only has a 4 wire connector and the trailer is a 5 wire harness. The 5th wire is a brake solenoid override so I can't backup unless the 5th wire is energized. So to dunk my trailer I have to get out, stick pin 5 in hole 2 and turn on my headlights.

My gf still laughs as I prepare to backup. I have been told by many that unplugging first greatly lengthens the life of incandescent bulbs, but that if you have LEDs it doesn't matter as long as they are properly sealed.

H20Rat

Vice Admiral

I run LED replacement bulbs in regular housings, no problems at all. Used to pop a couple regular bulbs a season, it seems that no matter how well 'sealed' they claim to be, they never are.

dave11

Lieutenant Junior Grade

Both trailers have LEDs. I still disconnect before I launch.

642mx

Lieutenant Commander

No LED's, don't unplug, no problems.... ;)

bhammer

Ensign

diesel5599 - Most trailer brakes don't actuate if you are on flat surface or backing down a hill, such as a boat ramp.

I have had regular bulbs on my trailers and have never unplugged. I have never had a bulb crack and seldom even burn out.

Proselect

Petty Officer 1st Class

When I had incadescants I would unplug when I would remember, which was seldom. I never had a problem. Now I have sealed LEDs and I don't unplug. One of the lights gets moisture in it due to a bad seal already, but no problems with them.

tpcowfish

Petty Officer 3rd Class

I don't have a choice anymore. My truck only has a 4 wire connector and the trailer is a 5 wire harness. The 5th wire is a brake solenoid override so I can't backup unless the 5th wire is energized. So to dunk my trailer I have to get out, stick pin 5 in hole 2 and turn on my headlights.

My gf still laughs as I prepare to backup. I have been told by many that unplugging first greatly lengthens the life of incandescent bulbs, but that if you have LEDs it doesn't matter as long as they are properly sealed.

You can buy an adaptor thats 4-5 pin for ten bucks, Thats what i did, and i never unplug, led's and no leaks, before tho, i have driven home not plugged in because i unplugged on old trailer

Rocky_Road

Lieutenant Commander

If this "unplug before you dunk" was anything more than an old wive's tale, trailers would leave the factory with huge decals warning you to do this...or else the trailer company "assumes no liability or responsibilities!"

If cold water somehow smashes your 'warm' bulb, then the light fixture has gone beyond it's useful life and the responsible thing to do is to replace it.

Kind of like that annoying fuse under the helm that seems to 'blow' but only ever so often...do you just carry a handful of spares? Or do you fix the problem....

NYBo

Admiral

I don't think incandescent bulbs will get hot enough to pop unless they have been on for a while and the water is very cold. Since most of us trailer in daylight most of the time and boat in relatively warm (> 50*F), I think that explains why most have no trouble if they don't unplug. YMMV!

KStoon

Seaman

Like it was mentioned before. I'm more likely to forget to plug it back in when taking off so I don't unplug. I've yet to have a bulb blow. My housings are "sealed" and they don't seem to get/have water in them. My clearance lights stay lit and they don't seem to be as "sealed".

truckermatt

Petty Officer 1st Class

i have led lights... and i unplug every time.... and i never forget to plug them back in because i have to walk around putting transom straps on anyway.. and i even put the 4 ways on each time i hook the lights to test everything.....

I drive semi truck for a living and know how important lights are on the trailer....

Some people forget to do a proper inspection of their rig each time they drive it.....

Last edited:

CAVU V

Petty Officer 2nd Class

I never unplug and have never lost a bulb because of it even though I always have my lights on day or night. The first trailer I had for the boat had surge brakes and the new trailer has electric over hydraulic. My boat I feel is of the size that brakes are more important than a bulb, that is why I keep extra bulbs on hand.

QC

Supreme Mariner

I still unplug due to a personal experience. 1984, first boat. Finished the day in the dark. Had my buddy go get the trailer to retrieve. I told him to plug in the lights so he could see the trailer better on the ramp. As he was backing down I was thinking I should have told him to unplug, thought "no biggee". So he gets it under water and I am idling up to the trailer as I watch two brake lights, one running light and one clearance light all go dark, one at a time. Tink, tink . . . tink . . . tink. At least I had one running light to get out of there, but I've been anal about it ever since.

That trailer had the square type lights that are open on the bottom. Now, even with sealed lights, every time I launch and retrieve I think about not unplugging, and then "ah, what the heck" . . . Old habits die hard.

nimmor

Petty Officer 1st Class

I run sealed beams so I don't unplug. I also fish a lot at night and the taillights also add some extra lighting at the ramp.

CATransplant

Admiral
Got a trailer lights ticket last year...

Got a trailer lights ticket last year...

Blew when I backed into the water with the plug connected, I guess. I thanked the nice officer, then drove directly to Mills Fleet Farm and bought a pair of LED lights. I installed them in the parking lot, since I had my toolbox in the tow vehicle. I'll never have incandescents on my boat again.

I tossed the old light housings in the trash can right there at Mills Fleet Farm. I don't have time for that nonsense. For less than $50, I'm done. Fortunately the ticket was just a fixit ticket.

Status
Not open for further replies.