unknown piece fell while removing out drive

UNSUREBOATGUY

Petty Officer 2nd Class
Re: unknown piece fell while removing out drive

The rubber exhaust parts inside the boat are a "must"-especially the bottom one. As I understand it, if they leak (and it sounds like they are in pretty rough shape from what you describe), you could end up with a lot of water in your boat very quickly. If the exhaust bellows at the drive leak, no big deal, they are always wet both inside and out when the boat is in the water.

ktbarrentine

Lieutenant

Ahhh..must be referring to the exhaust "tubes" inside the boat!:facepalm: (my feeble mind was focused on the O/D).

fishrdan

Admiral

Exhaust coupler(s) for sure, I'd replace the the riser gasket too. I bet the exhaust pipe seal/O-ring got fired pretty good, though that's not going to be a fun one to change.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Exhaust coupler(s) for sure, I'd replace the the riser gasket too. I bet the exhaust pipe seal/O-ring got fired pretty good, though that's not going to be a fun one to change.

I didn't see an exhaust pipe seal or gasket or o-ring when I removed the exhaust pipe. Is this in the inside of the pipe itself?

achris

More fish than mountain goat

Between the pipe and the transom housing... You need to remove the engine to remove the exhaust pipe.

attachment.php

Attachments

• exhaust oring.jpg
    exhaust oring.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 0

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

Holy crap, forget that. Lol. I'll just let that one be for now. I just bought $245 worth of parts and I still need a $65 part. Hey and what is a riser gasket?

fishrdan

Admiral

Hey and what is a riser gasket?

Exhaust riser (elbow) is on top of the manifold, gasket goes in between, looks like this (or close to it).

27-863726__46529.1290458217.1280.1280.jpg

Get the OEM Mercruiser gasket, metallic/silvery looking one.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

So wait a second. This gasket goes between the engine and the first piece of exhaust pipe (which I believe is the elbow that goes upwards and then back down)? Just curious because if so, there was not a gasket there when I removed that piece.

Don S

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

So wait a second. This gasket goes between the engine and the first piece of exhaust pipe (which I believe is the elbow that goes upwards and then back down)? Just curious because if so, there was not a gasket there when I removed that piece.

Which do you have? 1 piece or 2 piece elbow?

1pc.jpg 2pc.jpg

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have the 1 piece, and I see the #15 gasket.. craaaaap.. the trip to the marine store is on the complete opposite side of town, that's why I was trying to get everything at once, lol. well, now I guess I have to go look at the engine again to make sure the gasket isn't laying around somewhere, and then drive aaaallllllllllll the way back to the store and get one.. :frusty:

Oh, another thing. I got my new water shutter, but while removing the exhaust bellows the other half that was still in there, fell down inside the down tube. how can I go about getting this out without removing everything. Any ideas? the bolts are hard to get to, so removing it is probably not an option unless I remove the engine, and I don't have a lift to do that with.

Oh, and the water pocket cover, it was suggested I change that. now, is it just the gasket? or the whole housing I should be changing?

Don S

fell down inside the down tube. how can I go about getting this out without removing everything.

If you still have the drive off, look in through the bellows.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

past the gimble bearing???

Don S

past the gimble bearing???

No, that's the ujoint bellows.
The lower one is the exhaust bellows. The one where you found the first piece.

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

:facepalm: i'm ashamed of myself :D i'm going to go look now. brb

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

it wasn't visible in there. I also tried snaking a wire hanger to try to push it down, with no luck. I cant see it from the inside or outside. any other suggestions? looks like I may have to remove the gimbal housing. AArrrrrgghh

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

ok, I cut up the kids fun noodle, and shoved it down there, and didn't hear anything move. but I know it has to be down in there because I saw and heard it fall when I removed the bellows. should I try to flush it with water and see if it comes out?

Don S

should I try to flush it with water and see if it comes out?

Try it, it can't hurt anything

Did you look in there with a flashlight?

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

yes, all I see is ash. I stuck the noodle in from the inside, and I could see it all the way down through the outside.. now what happens if I leave it in there??? could it come out and damage something???

motor boater

Petty Officer 1st Class

I flushed it two or three times, all that came out was sand.. I jiggled the wire hanger and the magnetic grab tool around in there to see if I could even hear it rattling around, and I don't. so what happens if I just leave it as is?