Ungrateful...

dogsdad

Lieutenant
Re: Ungrateful...

Well, EE, your seeming disappointment over someone else's ingratitude made me believe otherwise. When people don't fall all over themselves singing your praises for doing a job you're paid to do, that's just life in the real world.<br /><br />If you believe that IT people could go on strike and bring the world to its knees, you're right. But so could my local trash collectors. No one is so valuable or indispensible that the world can't go on without them any more than all the other professions or vocations one way or another.<br /><br />I'd never say that IT folks don't work, and I know there are some who really do know what they're doing. But I have seen IT (and software) people get away with all kinds of shenanigans that just leave me gasping in wonder. And I don't think they'd get away with the kind of crap they do in another time. And there is no doubt that "another time" is coming, sooner or later.<br /><br />If you're one of the hard-working and competent IT people out there---and I believe you probably are---more power to you. Salute, and all that. I'd simply suggest that you can't expect anyone to express appreciation in any form other than a paycheck.<br /><br />There's a certain amount of prestige that goes with being in IT these days, to be sure. Just be aware that they'll jerk the rug out from under you one day. It's just a matter of time.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

eeboater

Commander

Yeah, you're right DD... Didn't mean to flame up... Just strikes one of my nerves when I get lumped into those shlubs that make the "GEEKS" of the world look bad.<br /><br />Kind of like sport bikes. Everyone thinks anyone with a Ninja-ish sportbikes are d*ckheads... but, its not always the case... <br /><br />Sean

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by ButchA:<br />
YES!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D {pumps fist in air} eeboater said it all here, folks! The little 23 yr old punks think they are God's gift to the IT world... Meanwhile, I'm 44, and have pretty much been there, done that, seen that, worked on that, programmed that, etc..etc..etc... and I don't mind getting down and dirty if the job calls for it. It comes from my USCG background, where you do whatever it takes to get the job done.<br /><br />I know very well that I am the luckiest guy around to have the job that I do.<br /><br />Butch A.
Amen.

dogsdad

Lieutenant

EE, glad we're okay.<br /><br />I understand your feelings about the 90-wonder "IT" types.<br /><br />Myself, I am a Navy trained electronics tech. I, and my contemporaries, went through some pretty intense training. There were guys who had to be taken away by the fellas in the white coats. For instance, there was a four-week phase where you had five hours of homework every night, and all the calculations had to be done to four decimal places---on a freekin' slide rule. If you used a calculator, they would know, and you would get no credit. There was a four-month course in which the only passing grade for about thirty different tests was 100%. You had one chance to retake any questions on which you erred, and if you didn't get it right on the second chance, you would find yourself in front of a Chief Petty Officer explaining why you should not be sent out to the Fleet to scrape paint off of destroyers for the balance of your enlistment. It was very demanding, and very high quality training. Ten months, eight hours a day. Slackers and losers generally fell out early on.<br /><br />Fast forward to 1995...the cellular industry is crying for technicians, so ITT Tech and Devry are pumping 'em out like donuts. Only difference is, these schools stand to make money, so they'll do whatever it takes to make sure the students walk out the door with a piece of paper that says they are a tech. I'm not saying that ITT Tech cannot turn out an excellent technician, I am just saying that they turn out a great number of techs who are substandard along with the occasional good one. Having trained a lot of technicians myself, I would guesstimate that there are about 5% working in the field who really know their stuff. The rest are just parts replacers, and they have destroyed the prestige and pay scale for those who know what they're doing.<br /><br />I guess the same thing is bound to happen in IT. I'd just suggest that you don't let yourself stagnate as a hands-on guy...move into management when the chance comes along. Otherwise you may find yourself working for people who don't have a clue or a ghost of the knowledge that you have. THAT is the voice of experience.<br /><br /><br />-dd-

mattttt25

Commander

our IT folks don't do their job and our company barely resembles one...<br /><br />oops, did i say that outloud?

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

hey ee, my PC feels kind of warm to the touch - does that mean there's a problem with my firewall?

eeboater

Commander

jtexas -- nope its probably got a virus. Tell it to take 2 floppies and call me in the morning.<br /><br />DD: It's all good ;) <br /><br />Sean

Realgun

Commander

EE take it easy. Count to ten then get a beer and forget about it. I was a tech in the call center environment and I almost always go the call after the supposed tech helped the customer.<br />I never got a thankyou there either after fixed the pervious ITT techs screwup and fixing the customers.<br /><br />But I did hear a few well if I had know it was that easy I would have done it myself.! GRRR<br /><br />I hate stupid people and they always seemed to be calling me!