Ungrateful...

salty87

Commander
Re: Ungrateful...

i'd let it slide, she may have just been frustrated. it's not like she outright bad mouthed or complained about you.<br /><br />as a user, it is very easy to get mad at the machine that won't work right without taking into consideration all of the issues that the person fixing it faces.<br /><br />don't let her issues become yours.

ZooMbr

Petty Officer 1st Class

ee you could send her a e-mail "I hope my extra effort make you feel @#$%^& special". On the other hand; there is no accounting for some peoples class!

eeboater

Commander

Yeah, after sleeping on it I think I'm going to just disregard her comment. I'll be the better person here... If she's ungrateful so be it. If not, well good.<br /><br /><br />Sean

rogerwa

Commander

Not to be a spoiler here, but I wonder about the legality and ethics of "snooping" the IM communication. I wouldn't say anything as that could land you in some serious hot water. EE I'm not ragging on you I just wanted to point that out..

salty87

Commander

yes, you cannot expect the same rights of privacy on a corporate computer/network

eeboater

Commander

Wasn't "snooping" on her. She was aware I was still connected. *OR SHOULD HAVE BEEN* since I had literally hung up seconds earlier.

nothreat

Petty Officer 2nd Class

Employees can't expect privacy over electronic communications in most companies. I manage an IT department and the company policy specifically states that some company personnel can and will monitor communications. Don't do without good reason, but it is legal.

rogerwa

Commander

Yes the communications on the corporate network are the property of the company, just like the data in the databases. Yet if I am an employee that has access to those DBs and use that access to look up my friends account values, that is grounds for termination.<br /><br />The point here is that the monitoring of the IM was not for business, security, or other condoned purpose. While it sounds as if it was more incidental than purposeful 'spying', I still wouldn't advertise it.

ED21

Master Chief Petty Officer

I took it as a compliment too, but I'm not a computer geek, so what do I know.

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

I feel your pain eeboater.... I'm in the IT field (database programmer, Unix systems admin) as well, and know exactly what you mean about end users and whatnot.<br /><br />I dialed in from home Saturday night and rebuilt 6 of our database indexes - not only here at my company in Richmond, VA - but also at our two other corporate plant offices in Phoenix, AZ and Minneapolis, MN. ...and nobody says a word. I guess it goes with the terrority. I have major job security, as I am sort of a one man IT dept. So, I can't really complain.<br /><br />Then again, the only time I truely complain is when the company can't make up its mind, and want me to change a line of code in our order entry program. Then a big managerial debate goes on among the 3 corporate plant offices. I just sit back and wait, saying under my breath, "when you all make up your $*#&@% minds, let me know, okay?" :mad: <br /><br />Butch A.

fireman57

Captain

The boss knows who is doing the good jog here even if he took it as a compliment, even more if he took it the way you did originally.

eeboater

Commander

Originally posted by ButchA:<br /> I feel your pain eeboater.... I'm in the IT field (database programmer, Unix systems admin) as well, and know exactly what you mean about end users and whatnot.<br /><br />I dialed in from home Saturday night and rebuilt 6 of our database indexes - not only here at my company in Richmond, VA - but also at our two other corporate plant offices in Phoenix, AZ and Minneapolis, MN. ...and nobody says a word. I guess it goes with the terrority. I have major job security, as I am sort of a one man IT dept. So, I can't really complain.<br /><br />Then again, the only time I truely complain is when the company can't make up its mind, and want me to change a line of code in our order entry program. Then a big managerial debate goes on among the 3 corporate plant offices. I just sit back and wait, saying under my breath, "when you all make up your $*#&@% minds, let me know, okay?" :mad: <br /><br />Butch A.
Butch:<br /><br />
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
41.gif
<br /><br /><br />Sean

KaGee

Admiral

Hey Sean....<br /><br />I think you are %#$&&^$$# special too!<br />
36_1_12.gif

dogsdad

Lieutenant

Most folks who work for a living hafta learn to be satisfied that they still have their jobs at the end of the day, and most don't get attaboys for every good thing they do.<br /><br />Maybe if I was in IT I'd think everyone was supposed to kiss my a** too when I did my job. When the market produces enough IT people and the field becomes saturated, mean ol' reality will make himself known...and a lot of young guys who never did anything else are going to be pretty shocked.<br /><br />You IT guys really ought to be thankful for how good ya got it. It may not be so good for very long.

jtexas

Fleet Admiral

Sounds like the sorta thing one might say to a friend when somebody else undertakes a major hassle to correct a minor irritation.<br /><br />You'll be satisfied with a job well-done, and know not to do this one any more favors.<br /><br />Anybody logs on to a corporate network knows (or should) that communication is not private. Nevertheless if you respond in any way she'll know you monitored her correspondence in this instance, and don't expect her to keep it to herself. Before you know it, you could have some serious rumors floating around.

eeboater

Commander

Hey Dogs... not once did I EVER mention that I think my a** should be kissed by anyone. I am satisfied when I have a technology infrastructure that runs like a well oiled machine. <br /><br />And I hate to break it to you, but the IT industry is already saturated with snot-nosed little punks who got their education out of a manual at their local TechSkills. I'm sure Butch and any other IT employed person on this board will attest to.<br /><br />Oh, and for some odd reason you think that IT doesn't have to work for a living. Contrary to popular belief one doesn't have to assemble widgets to "work" for a living. If I don't do my job, the company isn't a company. This isn't ego, its reality. Our lives aren't centered around plugging in keyboards and making sure your speakers are working.<br /><br />Sean

Butch Ammon

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> And I hate to break it to you, but the IT industry is already saturated with snot-nosed little punks who got their education out of a manual at their local TechSkills. I'm sure Butch and any other IT employed person on this board will attest to.<br /><br />Sean
YES!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D {pumps fist in air} eeboater said it all here, folks! The little 23 yr old punks think they are God's gift to the IT world... Meanwhile, I'm 44, and have pretty much been there, done that, seen that, worked on that, programmed that, etc..etc..etc... and I don't mind getting down and dirty if the job calls for it. It comes from my USCG background, where you do whatever it takes to get the job done.<br /><br />I know very well that I am the luckiest guy around to have the job that I do.<br /><br />Butch A.