Ungrateful...

eeboater

Commander
OK Background time: <br /><br />Being the head geek here at my place of employment, I have the ability to reach out and touch any computer in the company. By that, I mean I can connect to, control, and fix things on my own rather than having to walk someone through it over the phone. In addition to that we use instant messengers to communicate with each other. <br /><br />One of the employees in our KS location has been having issues with her computer. Nothing serious, just its quirky and bothers her once a day or so. Basically, the monitor goes black, she turns it off and back on and she has her screen again. Like I said, once a day -- not that obtrusive in the scheme of things.<br /><br />So, I finally broke down and grabbed a computer off the shelf for her. The computer is only 1.5 years old or so, so its in good shape. The only thing was it needed "rebuilt" where I deleted everything and reinstaleld everything. I do this as a courtesy to the recipient of the computer then they have a clean, well running machine.<br /><br />I stayed here until 10:45 last night rebuilding the computer for her. That is a total of a 15 hour day where 5 hours were put in getting her computer running.<br /><br />I spoke with her this morning about a question on how to make her job EASIER!! I.E. when we hung up, I had connected and showed her how to do something that would save her about 5 minutes each time she did it. Well, when we were talking I off-handedly said I stayed late last night to get your computer setup for you so I can ship it out today. <br /><br />When we hung up I clicked off her screen and checked my email. I realized I still had her screen up and as I'm about to close it I notice she sent a message to her boss in KS stating:<br /><br />User: Sean stayed late to rebuild my computer for my last night <br />User: I feel so @$%@#$% special. <br /><br />She actually used the symbols instead of a swear word. The boss didn't respond. What do you guys think, is she an ungrateful b*tch?!? Or am I misconstruing her message. I wish I didn't see what she wrote because I know I have a bad taste in my mouth and feel NO need to go out of my way to help her again. Mentally, she was just put at the very end of the pecking order on my priority list. I know that I'm not supposed to do that, but thats life.<br /><br />Sean

gspig

Chief Petty Officer
Re: Ungrateful...

I would have shot a note relating to the last thing you showed her. That would surely have her wondering "IF" you had seen her message of appreciation.

JasonB

Lieutenant

As a fellow techie, don't sweat it. Amazing how many times it is assumed tech people don't have a life. I'll stop there before I get started... In my 12 years in this profession, I could write a book....

NYMINUTE

Captain

Next time she has an issue, ask her "IS IT PLUGGED IN?" That says a big, loud, FY, with sensitivity.

QC

Supreme Mariner

These are interesting dilemas.<br /><br />My first reaction is to send her a copy of what you saw and that will get it of your chest.<br /><br />My second reaction (and what I use as a reality check before I do or say anything) is to ask myself what do I (Sean in this case) get out of confronting her? I then usually realize that I don't personally gain anything by making her feel like crud. If I somehow feel better for making her feel bad and regret her words then I am just as shallow, right?

eeboater

Commander

Yah, I'm not going to really ever do anything about it... I wasn't necessarily bragging, I just was saying I stayed late so she can get it by monday rather than having to wait a week or more since I have no time during the day because people bother me all the time (read: HER!!!)<br /><br />NYM -- I like your style. Not sure I'd have the balls to do it tho :D Although, she is much more "replacable" than I am :D :D :D <br /><br />Jason: Yeah, I hear ya on the "no life" thing. People seem to think that we love spending our lives in front of our computers because we're good at em...

Straightup

Petty Officer 1st Class

Originally posted by eeboater:<br /> I stayed here until 10:45 last night rebuilding the computer for her. That is a total of a 15 hour day where 5 hours were put in getting her computer running.<br /><br />
Uh, minus the several hours ee was on iboats... 13 Hours.. ;) :eek: :D :D :D

Boomyal

Supreme Mariner

You sure ur interpreting her message correctly EEE? Seems to me it could be a compliment.

eeboater

Commander

Thats what I was wondering....<br /><br /><br />Its the #$%^$# that is bothering me....

popuptarget

Cadet

EE,<br /> As a former breaker err user I can attest that her message could very well be a compliment. Now that I am on the support side of the house I get plenty of midnight and later calls. Alot of them are amazed that I answer and respond. You know the rep of the tech is grumpy and cynical. Unless you know for sure she is a useless dog in heat then take it as a compliment. <br /> V/R Jason

JB

Honorary Moderator Emeritus

Hey, Sean.<br /><br />I read her IM as a compliment. I don't see the @#$%^& as a negative.

BigPoppaG

Chief Petty Officer

Originally posted by JB:<br /> Hey, Sean.<br /><br />I read her IM as a compliment. I don't see the @#$%^& as a negative.
Depends what @$%@#$%.

Link

Rear Admiral

EE<br />Another good reason to come here to DC on iboats.<br />You can get it off ur chest and talk it out, without it effecting your work place. ;)

BoatBuoy

Rear Admiral

EE,<br /> You need to look into Ghost. You might have been home by supper.

eeboater

Commander

You guys are right. Its a half-full/half-empty situation. I guess I am just going to look at it as though she was excited to get a new computer... I'm falling into something I always lecture others about. You can't sense emotion through messengers... Things that are positive can always be misconstrued as negative...<br /><br />Sean

KeltonKrew

Lieutenant

Isn't netmeeting wonderful. Great tool. we used to take control of someones computer. they would forget to shut net-meeting down...we could change their clocks, etc. :D

mrbscott19

Chief Petty Officer

I think it depends on how you told her that you stayed late to finish it. Did it sound like you were glad to do it or that it was a hassle? I know I wouldn't have added a swear word or symbols if I thought you were nice enough to want to stay and fix the computer. Cursing usually isn't used to praise. Now if I thought that you thought it was a hassle and you felt you needed to say something about it, I would've used the naughty words. Sounds to me like she couldn't care less if you had to stay late. But thats just me.

eeboater

Commander

Yeah -- its very "big brotherish" :D I can watch what people are doing without them even knowing it... but of course I tread very lightly there.<br /><br />Case in point... this thread.<br /><br /><br />Sean

cc lancer

Petty Officer 1st Class

The boss didn't respond<br /><br />But he was thinking.............<br /><br />Keep cool, don't say anything. But I can assure you a copy of the e-mail went into her personal file.