"Under God"

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: "Under God"

When was the last time you pledged allegance to the flag? I know teachers may every day. Until my son joined Cub Scouts it had been many years since I recited the words. Do I think about the words "under God"? No, I don't. <br /><br />I think there are way more important things for the US Supreme court to hear. Scalia was right in brandishing the 9th circuit court. It's another example of 5% of the population trying to dictate what the other 95% should do, even though they are opposed to it.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

I, for one, firmly believe in the concept of "separation of church and state". <br /><br />Yes, I realize that this nation was founded "under God", and that the words "In God We Trust" appear on our currency. However, we as a nation have grown into the most powerful nation on earth, and I believe that with great power comes great responsibility. Yes, we SHOULD be the world's policemen, protecting the rights of others and keeping the world safe from tyranny. We are obligated to "be the better man" and respect the rights of ALL individuals, not just those of the Christain faith.<br /><br />Boomyal posted a link to a speech made my Tom McClintock, implying that the arguement for "under God" is not just about two words, but actually goes to the core of human rights. He argues that human rights are granted by God, not by people. A direct quote from that speech, "But how do we secure these rights in a world where others seek to violate them? We form a government servient to these God-given rights – or more precisely, a government under God." He then goes on to say that if these right were not granted by God, but were instead granted by Government, then they could also be withdrawn by Government.<br /><br />Does this mean that athiests have no rights? Does this mean that Hindus in our country have different rights than Christians, because they have different Gods? Our goverment is responsible for making laws that apply to a great many religions, I believe we have the obligation to respect ALL people and human rights, not just those that extend from Christianity.

wilkin250r

Chief Petty Officer

Even with all that said, I do not have any problem with the words "under God" in the pledge of allegiance. It is an affirmation that the NATION was founded under God (which indeed it was), it is not an affirmation of belief in God himself.

KennyKenCan

Commander

If "Under God" is removed from the Pledge of Alleigence, then the gov't must knock down just about every building in Washington D.C., and every federal court house or building that has "God" on it.<br /><br />We will also have to burn the "Declaration of Independance" and the "Bill of Rights" and disregard them completely, as they make direct references to "God" in them!<br /><br />This is why, if the United States continues down this path, their will be a "Second American Civil War" !

gaugeguy

Captain

The pledge was written in 1892 by a minister. He was originally going to substitute the word "equality" instead of "liberty", but he thought better of it. The reason? Women and "African-Americans" were not considered equal to white men back then, and it would have been too controversal.<br /><br />In the 1920's the words "and to the country for which it stands" were added, even with the disapproval of the minister that wrote the origianal pledge. <br /><br />I wonder what he would have thought about adding, then removing the words "under God"?

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

KKC, don't forget all the tombstones at the National Cemetaries and War Memorials.<br /><br />***************<br /><br />You don't need a passport to leave the USA.<br />Walk, fly, drive, or sail, and you are out.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Thanks roscoe,<br /><br />In the fury I was under when making that post, I inadvertantly left that out.<br /><br />Thanks for reminding me.

KennyKenCan

Commander

Oh yeah, one more thing...<br /><br />The Armed Forces of the U.S.A. are now no longer allowed to conduct, or allow any of their members to attend, ANY RELIGIOUS SERVICES, WHAT-SO-EVER !<br /><br />Also, there is going to a date set, where every church, temple and mosc (sp) in this country are to be burned to the ground!<br /><br />Is this the America you want to live in?<br /><br />I, for one, DO NOT !!!!<br /><br />Sounds like Nazi Germany to me!<br /><br />Exactly what kind of message are the American people trying to send to the rest of the world?<br /><br />The way I see it right now, the way rest of the world looks at us, is as if we are nothing more than a bunch of (EDIT)<br /><br />Sorry mods, but I had to say it. (No, you didn't)<br /><br />Poof me if you want.

knobby

Chief Petty Officer

Under God, simple as that, hear me now, believe me later.

LadyFish

Admiral

Here are the results of an AOL poll today:<br /><br />Should 'under God' be included in the pledge?<br />Yes 85%<br />No 14%<br />Not sure 2%<br />How important is this issue to you?<br />Very -- the pledge is a key national tradition 84%<br />Somewhat -- I have an opinion but am not invested in the case 10%<br />Not very -- it has little relevance in my life 6%<br />Total Votes: 360,322

KennyKenCan

Commander

With results like that LadyFish, why is it going to the courts?<br /><br />The people have spoken!!

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

it's the word that immediately follows "God" that<br />I am most concerned about these days...<br />I would vote to keep MYself.

roscoe

Supreme Mariner

"Under God" meaning that we are NOT above GOD, like many of the dictators and kings profess to be.

LadyFish

Admiral

First, under God does not necessarily mean one God, it could mean anyone's God. I really don't see why this is a separation of church and state issue. We are not pledging to God, least alone a specific God. We are pledging alligence to our country.<br /><br />Besides, no one is forced to say the Pledge any more than they are forced to march in gay parades.

samagee

Chief Petty Officer

I have to agree with KKC. If they remove this, it WILL be the beginning of another civil war here in the U.S.. The country WILL be devided again.<br /><br />I kind of look at it like this. You can't see air, but you can see it working when it moves(i.e. wind). I think we are now seeing the results of the "unseen" movement in the U.S. to destroy us.<br /><br />The constitution was put together as a guide line for this country. The government can not tell you what religion to be, but the government was built with the guide lines that there is someone there that needs to be paid homage to. Someone that does guide, even those who don't want to be.<br /><br />We have seen the split during the last election put right in our faces. Now we are seeing it even more. I am curious to see how close the next election will be as well.<br /><br />The actions of certain groups within the U.S. is very telling right now.

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

Several questions:<br /><br />1. Where in the "Bill of Rights" is god mentioned? <br /><br />2. Why is whether a poll shows one thing or another even an issue? If we relied on polls in this country, we would still have a segregated south.<br /><br />3. In what way would this affect chaplains in the military, or the ability to pray as you wish (or don't wish) in the military?

ob

Admiral

Question is,How would it change your life if it were removed.Would it break the bonds of religious oppression and set us all free?<br /><br />To quote Martin Luther King Jr.:<br />"Free at last,free at last,thank God almighty we're free at last."<br /><br />Or ,should we consider removing the word God from the quote?After all,lots of people hear it as it's replayed over television.Some may be offended.Maybe they could just start censoring out the word God from now on.<br /><br />What difference does it make as to when the word God was injected into the Pledge of Allegiance?<br />Mt Rushmore wasn't completed by the original sculptor.Perhaps he wouldn't approve of its final outcome.

18rabbit

Captain

Mt Rushmore wasn't completed by the original sculptor.Perhaps he wouldn't approve of its final outcome.
Mt. Rushmore is not and will not be completed, although a scale model of what it was to look like was approved before any work on the giant sculpture started. For as far as they got, the big one looks just like the little. :)

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

the very next word after God is "indivisible"...<br />wearing a tee-shirt right now that has our flag<br />and the words; "united we stand". just how many<br />non-issues that divide and conquer us do we have<br />to deal with today? politics in 21st century?<br />liberals have their issues, conservatives have<br />their's... what about our leaders UNITING this<br />great country?<br />so sad IMHO...