UFP Trailer Buddy retaining ring

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Has anyone ever removed the retaining ring from a UFP Trailer Buddy bearing protector to replace the zerk? When I try to remove the zerk the piston spins. I don't like the idea of simply replacing the entire protector because every time you remove one it slops out the bore of the hub.

robert graham

Admiral
With zerk either threaded or pressed into the free turning piston it may be a challenge to remove and replace the zerk….I’d just replace the entire Bearing Buddy….Why are you trying to replace the zerk? ….

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Check valve is leaking. I've tried depressing it many times to try to reseat it but no luck. I hate to bang out another protector. Doubt I'll be able to keep another one on. I guess I could move up in size to the 2.047.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
Doubt I'll be able to keep another one on. I guess I could move up in size to the 2.047.
If you have 1.9XX” hubs, 2.047 is going to press.

If the new protector doesn’t press, just “stake” the protector in place.

Easy to do and very effective means of retaining bearings in housings

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
If you have 1.9XX” hubs, 2.047 is going to press.

If the new protector doesn’t press, just “stake” the protector in place.

Easy to do and very effective means of retaining bearings in housings
dingbat, can you explain "going to press" and "stake". I know they have to be knocked in. I usually use a block of wood and large hammer. Does stake mean what I've read about dimpling the outside of the BB?

MagKarl

Seaman Apprentice
If you remove the snap ring the piston should come right out and allow you to mess with the zerk fitting. I can't remember how the zerk was attached to the piston though.

dingbat

Supreme Mariner
dingbat, can you explain "going to press" and "stake". I know they have to be knocked in. I usually use a block of wood and large hammer. Does stake mean what I've read about dimpling the outside of the BB?
Use a center punch or similar tool to displace material in the bore to reduce the internal clearance. I use 3 “dimples”, 120 degrees apart.

If worst comes to worst loc-tite blue works wonders

While a big hammer will work, the chances damaging the bore with an “out of square drive” are greatly increased over the use of a press.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
I don't understand the press. I've not taken the hub off the trailer. How would I apply a press to a hub still installed on the trailer? Thanks for the dimpling explanation. I'll give that a try if I have to remove the protector. The boat is stored 70 miles away at the lake so I haven't been back yet. Thanks for the replies.

Stinnett21

Chief Petty Officer
Finally got back to the boat. I had surgery then covid so behind on off season projects. I did as dingbat suggested, removed the snap ring and replaced the zerk. Getting it back in was a bit of a PITA. The trick I used was a hack saw blade. Worked great to pry the ring into place because it's so thin and flexible.