Turn on your TV, Powell briefing to UN has begun

NOSLEEP

Commander
Re: Turn on your TV, Powell briefing to UN has begun

yes it was.<br />Some will still say it is not proof enough<br />so they may make a case for doing nothing.

62_Kiwi

Lieutenant Junior Grade

I agree, it's compelling. I also noted the Secretary of State's comment "I cannot tell you everything that we know".<br /><br />It will be interesting to see who wins this battle for the minds of the world - the USA or Saddam. Whoever wins this battle does not necessarily win the war however.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Yes, caught it at werk..tHe office went silent. for most of it.<br />And Nosleep is right, I'll bet. It convinced nobody, because those clowns have alternative ideas of what action should take place, and they will think-up any number of excuses to give Sadim a pass.

crab bait

Captain

whatever,, we'll be bombing the end of this month,, beginin' of next..

ebbtide176

Commander

(amended, moved orig post to new topic)<br /><br />i missed it, but it seemed from what i read on the net, it seems to help understand a little better of how saddam is covering up info. i think he needs to at least come up with the info on all the stuff we knew he had from his bombardment of the kurds with those chemical 'cocktails'... or face a u.n. agreed punishment. which i thought was 'serious consequences'... <br />it seems that just means we will want to spend lots more time doing inspections. maybe beat the old record of 4yrs, before he kicks them out, claiming they're simply american spies. or maybe in hopes that saddam dissappears, along with his w.m.d.'s

plywoody

Senior Chief Petty Officer

What, you don't like debate? It is always more comfortable when everyone agrees, of course. Not realistic, but comfortable.<br />Well, I agree to a point. Powell's case was compelling. And not surprising, given the players.<br />Certainly it is an excuse for war. Is it a cause for war? I dunno. <br />My biggest concern is how we go about this, and what the endgame is? Right now, in Afghanistan, we have some presence in Kabul, but the rest of the country is pretty well ruled by the various warlords all out for their own interests, and every bit as bad on their own people as the Taliban were. Is this what we call liberated? Are we done?<br />And what will we do once Saddam is gone? And with ever escalating deficits, exactly how, if we are to do anything, are we to afford it.<br /><br />And most importantly, in my mind, who is our next target?<br /><br />I fear, as Caesar did, we are crossing a proverbial Rubicon with this action that will have profound consequences, potentially irreversible. It starts with Saddam, but it won't end there. time will tell.

ebbtide176

Commander

dang, i gotta bite already! ;) <br /><br />well thankfully its not a shark bite. i feel that i posted a little out of line, since it was not 'on topic'. so i will open a new thread, then put it 'on topic', in fairness. maybe it will just die with no replies, let us see.

SCO

Lieutenant

Point was made tonight that we now have the smoking gun, and the threshold has been raised again. The tie in to Terrorists was compelling all right. Did you see the photos of the spray planes? Did you hear how the Cole bombing impressed the BofB? It sheds light as to why there was so much interest in cropdusters. A collaboration is there. We're the targets here, not the UN countries. You think they want to fight to defend us? No. They only want us to fight to defend them.

mellowyellow

Vice Admiral

GWB looks a lot better having this guy as a front<br />man. was even smart enough to stay away and keep<br />his yap shut.<br />I'd vote for Powell for president!<br />excellent presentation IMHO<br />M.Y.

12Footer

Fleet Admiral

Powel is a briliant man. He is a fantastic speaker (as is apparent), and I'd vote for him for any office he runs for period.