Turkey Guides part II

gaugeguy

Captain
Re: Turkey Guides part II

Carpy, I finally put the bird in the freezer. 2 days before the end of the season. 19 pounds, 7" beard, 3/4" spurs--and it was a jake :mad: <br /><br />Desperation had set in big time, I hadn't heard a gobble in three weeks, birds all henned up. Our fish and game thoughtfully puts our season nice and late :mad: <br /><br />This bird wouldn't answer anything but a purr, and when I started purring he came in running. Didn't gobble or strut, just ran right at me. I waited till he got about 20 yards away and I put a load of #4's into him.<br /><br />Hardest bird season I have ever had, now I can totally focus on fishing until Sept 15th ;)

Carphunter

Commander

Yeeeeeeeee Hawwwwwwwwww!<br /><br />Congrats there GG!<br /><br />Man, thats one big Jake. I've killed mature toms with 7" beards before, thats awesome.<br /><br />Our season comes in kinda late too. Most of the hens are bred by the time the season starts.<br /><br />What day did you actually get your bird?<br /><br />Our season ended 5/9/04, when does yours end?<br /><br />Well, you guys may finally get your wish............I got some of the pictures back from my turkey guiding, and I thought about posting them. You'll finally get to see just how pretty I really am. :p I had some of those pics put on disc, so it will make them easier to post. Didn't have mine put on disc though. :( <br />Man, I need a digital camera.<br /><br />Post some pics of your bird also GG.

gaugeguy

Captain

I got it Saturday. Our season was 5/3 to 5/31, and by the beginning of may they were all bred out and not searching for hens. <br /><br />It was a huge Jake, biggest I have ever seen. When I saw that beard swaying back and forth as he was running at me I assumed it was a mature bird. When I spread out his fan and saw the difference in the length of the middle feathers I was kind of bummed. The guy at the checking station tagged him in as a mature tom, and I didn't correct him ;) <br /><br />I'll scan the photos in this weekend and post them next week.

Carphunter

Commander

Make sure you wear your pretty little socks for the pictures. :p

gaugeguy

Captain

Originally posted by Carphunter:<br /> Make sure you wear your pretty little socks for the pictures. :p
I'm in my hunting garb, the socks are camoflaged, you won't be able to see them :rolleyes: