Tune Up Kit Contents

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class
I just finished installing new coils, points, and condenser in my 57 Lightwin. There are a couple of items that were in the tune up kit bag that I don't know what they are.

Besides the points, condenser, and clips, there are two pieces of "fabric" about 1" x 1/2" x 1/8" thick along with a 1" black paper square. The fabric looks to have oil on it.
What are they for?

F_R

Supreme Mariner
Re: Tune Up Kit Contents

The felt is a cam lubricant wick. Goes in a clip under one of the coils. (Only takes one). The paper is a lint free piece to draw between the points as a final step to remove any traces of dirt or oil.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks. I'll have to take a coil off to see where it goes. Still not sure.

todd57

Petty Officer 3rd Class

1stgenbird, here are a couple of pics I took of my armature plate assembly before disassembling it. I took them for reference. I think maybe you can see where it goes, but they don't show the clip that holds the wick in place. It goes under the philips head screws of coil #1. If you have the clip still, you can see how the shape of it matches the shape of the coil mount. The wick is held in with this clip.

Oiler Wick 2.jpgOiler Wick 1.jpg

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks todd57. Good pics as I can see where it goes now. I'll check for the clip.

1stgenbird

Petty Officer 1st Class

No clip to be found. As I didn't know there was one, possibly it was attached to the very deteriorated coils and points I removed and discarded. I picked up two felt clips on ebay for cheap, one for this motor and one for my "57 Fastwin which I don't think has one either.