Tube with 25hp on a 14' tinny

matt167

Captain
My girlfriend wants to get a tube behind my boat. I think it will work at a minimum but I'm not sure. It's a 14' StarCraft Holiday 14 with a Suzuki DF25A. Anyone?

FunInDuhSun

Chief Petty Officer
Unless she’s as thin as Olive Oyl (Popeyes chick), a tube won’t get up on plane. I have a similar rig and couldn’t get an adult up on skis either. If she is ok with plowing around, go for it!

briangcc

Commander
Umm...a 25HP on a 14' tinny is gonna fly. It'll pull the tube. Use a bridle to attach the line from the tube to the boat.

Now....how much swinging that tube around is going to move the boat is anyone's guess. That there might be the determining factor.

matt167

Captain
I think I might just buy the cheap tube Walmart sells and see what it will do. I put the loosest pitch prop I could to get the RPM up on plane. We will have fun regardless

dwco5051

Commander
Remember that many if not most states consider pulling a tube the same as a skier and require an observer when pulling one. I have a similar set up with 30hp on a 14' er and am sure I could pull a youngster at speeds close enough to keep then entertained by putting my lower pitch spare prop on and two adults on board. Never tried it but I thing it might be iffy with 3 adults.

matt167

Captain
Indeed I live in a state where a spotter is required. As it should be. I've thought about putting the 30hp ecu and intake mesh in place but it voids warranty. I would have bought 30hp except Suzuki doesn't make the DF30A in short shaft. So I have to make it if I want it

jimmbo

Supreme Mariner
We used to pull Adult Skiers with these, even on just one Ski
mirrocraft2.jpg
MirroCraft 14ft Deep Fisherman both could do 50km/hr or better

After the Old Man sold the bigger boat, we had to be creative
gullwing6.jpg

Last edited:
I have a 16Ft Star Craft "V" hull with a Evinrude E40 (non tiller).
Boat cruises at 28-30 MPH, in the Barnegat Bay (bit choppy).
I'm thinking it will pull a tube, but possibly make the boat a bit unstable...

airshot

Rear Admiral
My father had a 16' Lyman with a 35 hp johnson and we pulled two on skies many times ! And we had an observer as well as a driver!! I know the Holiday is a bit heavier than most aluminum boats of that length but, with the right setup it should pull a small riding toy. Your motor must be running at peak output, if it is weak, then your gonna have a problem

matt167

Captain
Well the motor is just a year old now with 20 hours or so on it so it should be running perfectly at 25hp. I never got to try the tube this year

Scott Danforth

Grumpy Vintage Moderator still playing with boats
Staff member
Well the motor is just a year old now with 20 hours or so on it so it should be running perfectly at 25hp. I never got to try the tube this year
Put the beer cooler in the bow to help you plane out

RaftRat

Seaman Apprentice
My opinion is your set up will be fine. It may not be a world class ski boat, but you know that already, but it should be fun regardless. And if it’s not quite exciting enough, then the tuber can do “tricks” like standing up, no hands, whatever you can think of. Should be a good time on the water.