Trying to replace bottom Piston on a 1975 Johnson 75 hp motor need help...

davidgauldin

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
5
I am trying to replace the piston on my Johnson 75 hp motor. The problem I am having is the front cylinder half will not come loose at the bottom . I have removed all the screws that I can see the top is loose but not the bottom . I can not figure out what is holding me back.. Is there something else I need to remove to get this off? Thank you
 

Chinewalker

Fleet Admiral
Joined
Aug 19, 2001
Messages
8,902
Re: Trying to replace bottom Piston on a 1975 Johnson 75 hp motor need help...

Have you removed the powerhead from the lower unit? If not, that needs to be done FIRST.

There is also a seal retainer cap on the bottom of the crankcase that has bolts in both halves... Only accessible when the powerhead is off.
 

davidgauldin

Recruit
Thread starter
Joined
Jul 29, 2011
Messages
5
Re: Trying to replace bottom Piston on a 1975 Johnson 75 hp motor need help...

Have you removed the powerhead from the lower unit? If not, that needs to be done FIRST.

There is also a seal retainer cap on the bottom of the crankcase that has bolts in both halves... Only accessible when the powerhead is off.

Thank you so much this is what I was thinking after research .. Your help is much appreciated...
 
Top