Trying to rebuild 18 hp Johnson

Status
Not open for further replies.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trying to rebuild 18 hp Johnson

What's up guys.... Got a ?... So here's my fix for using wrong carb. This 90 degree elbow,My problem is I need this elbow to face a particular direction, but when it's aimed in the right direction it's not all the way tight. What can I put on these threads like Teflon tape to have them tighten up a little quicker?

90 fuel piece.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

There is a guy on ebay that sells a piece of plate aluminum with all the holes drilled and tapped in the right places, It is like $10 shipped. I couldn't make it that cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Evinrude-Jo..._Accessories_Gear&vxp=mtr&hash=item4cfb57c7b5

F_R makes those adaptor plates as well, PM him on here if you want one. His give proper instructions for use as well, the way it is described in the ebay ad is not correct. The bypass cover has a deflector built in it. THat deflector is there for a reason. You need to use the original bypass cover as well as the plate. The voids in the plate are filled and smoothed with JB Weld, then drilled through, else you add volume to the chamber.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What's up guys.... Got a ?... So here's my fix for using wrong carb. This 90 degree elbow,My problem is I need this elbow to face a particular direction, but when it's aimed in the right direction it's not all the way tight. What can I put on these threads like Teflon tape to have them tighten up a little quicker?

View attachment 133770

Why do you need the elbow at all?

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's up Chris.... the original piece is what you see screwed into the elbow. This carb is from a 57 18hp and that fitting shoots straight down right into my bottom plate not leaving enough room for the fuel hose to go on.

kfa4303

Banned

HI cc. I think you could use fuel resistant teflon tape and a small/thin nut that the elbow's threads can pass through before going into the carb body. You should then be able to snug down the nut to keep the elbow in the position you want.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

What's up Chris.... the original piece is what you see screwed into the elbow. This carb is from a 57 18hp and that fitting shoots straight down right into my bottom plate not leaving enough room for the fuel hose to go on.

Ah ic. So what you would ideally need would be a carb like this that is off a 1956 15hp Evinrude where the fuel inlet shoots out the side right? I wonder if there are any antique outboard addicts out there that would have such a carb? If there were you should PM them :)

001-11.jpg

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello guys.....So last night I finished the 18hp rebuild with the fuel conversion ,and new ignition. When putting the ignition back togather I noticed that the bracket that holds the oilier wick is gone. Do you guys think it would be Ok to start it up and test it without the oiler wick in there?

64osby

Admiral

Do you guys think it would be Ok to start it up and test it without the oiler wick in there?

Would you really want to pull off the flywheel again, unless you have it on already.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Yeah the flywheels no prob...I wasn't sure that all models had oiler wicks it wasn't in there when I took it apart so I didn't think about it till after the motor was all togather and I checked the parts manual. I'm hoping since I've waited almost 2 months to get this thing going I could see if it will start run it for a minute or 2 or 10 and then order the wick bracket and wait on it.

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

I'd have no problem running it without the wick. Others may differ though.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Ok Got A question. Tried to start my motor for the first time tonight..... NO go. I found two spots on the fuel line where it most likely was drawing a small amount of air. Both right where it connects to the carb. when I took the carb off to tighten the fittings there was fuel everywhere. In the fittings that where drawing air,and all in the carb. As I turned the carb over gas was coming out all the holes in it. So I was wandering would the lines drawing air completely stop the motor from starting even thu the carb,fittings, and lines where all full of gas. Or would the carb having gas in it mean there could be another reason the motor wasn't starting.

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

It would have still started, the carbs bowl is full of fuel upon startup. There are other issues you have to troubleshoot.

64osby

Admiral

Spray some pre mix in the carb, you should get a burp out of it. If not you have a timing or spark issue.

Just wondering if you use your tub for the tank test, since you paint in the kitchen.:rolleyes:

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Spray some pre mix in the carb, you should get a burp out of it. If not you have a timing or spark issue.

Just wondering if you use your tub for the tank test, since you paint in the kitchen.:rolleyes:

64 as soon as I had it back in the kitchen and the carb off. That's what I thought of . Why didn't I spray some mix in the carb. I checked spark right after it wouldn't start. and the spark was good, new plugs j6c gaped at.30. compression was good before teardown seeing as i didn't take apart the powerhead I'm assuming compression should still be good. Would this be correct. The carb was bought off ebay. I took all the screws out and it looked perfectly clean. could it still be gummed up somewhere I can't really see without doing complete rebuild, and this be the problem? It's possible the spark plugs wires could be crossed would it hurt to switch them and give that a try. I just converted the fuel to single line using mikuni pump would the bowl being full of fuel indicate that the conversion is working properlly at least to this point. These are the only things I can think that could be the problem. Any Suggestions? Thanks.

Pretty sure I fixed the air leeks plan on trying again this afternoon this time spraying mix in the carb if it won't start.

AlTn

Commander

crossed wires would be my first shot....when you primed it the float bowl should have filled...if nothing more carb wise, you should remove and clean the main jet and make sure the idle mixture needle taper is uniform and the tip isn't broken or bent...

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

I have to ask, what is your starting procedure?

As stated, if there is fuel in the bowl (which there should be when you prime the system before startup, you are priming the system right?), the fuel pump etc.. is out of the equation, for now. That is not to say that it is working perfect, but is irrelevant for starting the motor.

If you had the carb off and apart, I probably would have at least bare minimum cleaned it, replaced the packing for the jets etc...

I also replace the fuel line on every motor I now buy.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

I have to ask, what is your starting procedure?

As stated, if there is fuel in the bowl (which there should be when you prime the system before startup, you are priming the system right?), the fuel pump etc.. is out of the equation, for now. That is not to say that it is working perfect, but is irrelevant for starting the motor.

If you had the carb off and apart, I probably would have at least bare minimum cleaned it, replaced the packing for the jets etc...

I also replace the fuel line on every motor I now buy.

Hey HT... Start up procedure would be prime,choke then pull.:D When I got the carb and took it apart It looked spotless so the only thing that seemed could've been wrong is some of the internal workings that can't be seen without doing rebuild. Like pulling the circle plug on top. Everything I could see was perfect. The fuel lines are all new. I didn't think about the packing they looked a little tattered, But I think they work FINE!!! CHECK OUT NEXT POST:D

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

SHE RUNSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:cool:

HELL yeah , And it appears quite well. Diffently better than my original 25 rude

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

What do you guys think about that armature plate and flywheel. It has A bit more play in it than my 25 rude. Does it look normal

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

My 25 Rude wants the choke pulled till the motor starts then you unchoke it. This motor only wanted the choke pulled till it burped once (2nd pull) Then I unchoked it ,and it started right up:D. So I think yesterday I just flooded it.

Status
Not open for further replies.