Re: Thinking of trying to rebuild 18 hp Johnson

Lol!!:d

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Here's my latest progress

loswer side mounts original.jpgLower side mounts paint stripper.jpgLower side mounts ready for paint.jpgLower side mounts primed.jpglower side mounts painted 1.jpg

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Few pieces ready for paint

Outer exhost housing paint stripper.jpgOuter exhost housing 2 ready for paint.jpgSilencer & shift lever ready for paint.jpg

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got a Question guys. I'm ordering parts to put this baby back together. The bolts that attach the Lower unit to the exhaust housing are any where from 9.50 to 16.00$. They look like regular bolts I could buy at a hardware store. for 40 something cents a piece. Is it ok to buy these from the hardware store. I should I stick with marine part number bolts?

kfa4303

Banned

unless you're going to enter it in a show for judging, you can use any bolt you like. Just make sure they're stainless steel and the correct size and thread count. if you can take one in with you as a reference that would help. I've had good luck at Ace hardware getting random nuts and bolts.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks KFa...I was looking at the numbers tonight ,and when all is said and done i'll be pushing 400$ on this motor. All these little parts here and there are killing me. I diffiently learned my lesson. On looking for a rebuild, to look for a complete motor. $16 for 4 bolts is silly. My only problem Is these bolts where one more thing this motor never had the lower unit was off when I got it, and the bolts where not there. I got some pics and can take the exhaust housing to figure it out. These bolts a faceplate, prop nut and fuel pump conversion. Is All I got left everything else is on the way:D

samo_ott

Vice Admiral

Got a Question guys. I'm ordering parts to put this baby back together. The bolts that attach the Lower unit to the exhaust housing are any where from 9.50 to 16.00$. They look like regular bolts I could buy at a hardware store. for 40 something cents a piece. Is it ok to buy these from the hardware store. I should I stick with marine part number bolts?

I'd have no problem using regular bolts, just make sure they are the same strength.

kfa4303

Banned

samo is right. you probably don't even have to go with SS if you don't want, but it won't hurt if you do.

btw samo, did you make the catamaran/speed boat hybrid in your avatar? do you have any pics of it in action? it looks cool and fast!

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Got some more painting done:D

Exhaust housing primed.jpgExhaust housing & Silencer painted.jpgLU & exhaust housing.jpg

This lighting in my kitchen does this paint no justice when I get some pics in the sun It's gonna look better;)

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Hello guys... Today it arrived lol. The last piece to put this thing back together came today. All That stands between me, And having this baby all fixed up is some parts prep and paint. Now with the high this weekend only in the 30's painting is gonna take some ingenuity. I'm not 100% sure I'll be able to pull it off, But if I do I'm sure I could use some help putting it all back together.

1. The prop. I've seen stuff about torquing the prop nut just right and never instal a prop without a thrust washer. All my parts catalog shows is a drive pin,cotter pin, and a plastic cone shaped prop nut. What's the deal here. It seems the drive pin goes in place then the prop and then the prop nut tightened only until the holes line up and the cotter pin can go thru. Is this right? and do I need to oil the shaft or prop?

2.LU to exhaust housing. The LU was not attached when I got the motor. So I don't have the benefit of seeing how it came apart. My questions are concerning the shift linkage as it is now completely disconnected on both ends, And the water tube. It also was not with the motor when i got it. I've read some people say it's tough to reinstall into the exhaust housing. Any tips to get that in there would be appreciated. Also should I put some 3m between the LU and housing.

3. The leaf plate cover has a fuel line coming from it. From what i've found this is for the duel line fuel tank. So if I'm converting I just need to cap this off? Also during dis assembly I loosened the leaf nuts. My manual says they need to be torqued, And to check the front ,but I couldn't find anything saying leafplate nuts. So IDK the tourque #'s.

4. The carb I got is from a 57 18hp. Does anyone know if this will work or not. Everything seems to match up well. Other than needing a 90 degree fuel barb.

The motor is still in as many pieces as i could get it in save the powerhead. So I'm sure there's many things I could use help with any things you guys could think of that might help would be great. Some things like oiling this or that or where all to put the 3m 847. What type oil and grease to use. What order to do things. Any thing you guys can think of having put a motor back together before. Would help alot. And would be appreciated. Thanks

kfa4303

Banned

Glad you got you r parts cc. Not to worry you can do it. Ok, lets try to tackle these questions one by one.

Prop: I've never used a thrust washer. I only use the drive pin (or shear pin) then the prop the the prop nut tightened such that the cotter pin holes line up. There is a bit of play in the prop, but I've never had an issue on any of my motors. I would install it as you described. No need to oil the prop shaft.

Shift rod linkages: As you bolt the lower unit on there should be 3 things coming out of it; the main drive shaft which will be inserted into the underside of the power head, the copper water uptake tube and the lower shift rod. The drive shaft should just slip into the underside of the engine. You, or a friend, may have to rotate the flywheel clockwise slowly by hand to get the splines on the power head and the drive shaft to line up just right. Be sure the spar plugs are removed from both the head gasket and spark plug wires themselves while doing so. The copper water uptake tube also seats on the underside of the power head. It may be hard to see and a flashlight will help, but you should see a rubber grommet on the underside of the power head that the tube goes in. It may be easier to remove it from the lower unit first and install it first by itself, then seat angled end on top of the water pump housing, then sliding the lower unit on with the drive shaft and lower shift rod.
As for the shift rod itself, start by removing the little oval access plate on the exhaust housing. It's pretty tight in there, so a good pair of needle nose pliers will be your friend. You should have a small coupler with two bolt holes in it. One end goes on the end of the upper shift rod with one of the two bolts installed to hold it in place. Take care that the bolt lines up with bevel in the shift rod. You can now flip the gear selector switch to REV thus lowering the upper shift rod. You want the top of the lower shift rod to go into the bottom of the coupler. Again, line the bevel in the lower shift rod with the hole and install the bolt. The upper and lower shift rods should now be joined. To check, flip the motor into FWD. You should see the shift rod being pulled up. Rotate the flywheel CLOCKWISE by hand slowly (again with the spark plugs removed and disconnected from their wires). You should see the prop spin clockwise also. Now flip it into REV. You should see the shift rod pushed down all the way. Again rotate the flywheel clockwise slowly by hand. You should see the prop spin counter clockwise, thus indicating REV. Between the two positions in neutral in which the prop does not spin when the flywheel is rotated. You DO NOT install any 3M between the LU and the exhaust housing. The metal surfaces simply bolt together.

Here's a few links that can walk you through a singe line conversion and a link to a fuel pump, if you need one. There are a couple different methods.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FtG4M7ye1N8&feature=related
http://www.sschapterpsa.com/ramblings/Converting_dual_fuel_line.htm
http://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/eppages/mikunifuelpump1.php

Not exactly sure about the carb swap, but it will probably work (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

You want to use the 3M 847 on the perimeter of the lower unit oil seals and on the spaghetti seal in the lower unit. A little goes along way and it's pretty gloopy, so have some acetone handy to clean up with.

You want to use marine grade TCW-3 lower unit gear oil. You can get it at wal wart, or most auto parts and boating supply stores. You should also get one of the small pumps that is usually sold near by the oil. Here's a vid:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neYroHtSheQ

Here's a link to a guy rebuilding his entire vintage e-rude. The first few episodes don't have sound for some reason, but the rest do. They're well worth watching and can walk you through an entire rebuild of your LU, carb and ignition.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5WB00GePks&list=UUqtXoVOxjtEKjjTKj0cFydg&index=26&feature=plcp

Here are some more great links too. Holler if you get stuck.

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...on 3 HP 1952-1967 Ignition System Tune-up.htm

http://www.outboard-boat-motor-repa...hnson 5.5 HP 1954-1964 Carburetor Tune-UP.htm

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

Thanks Kfa..I'll be checking out your links ,and getting busy first thing in the morning

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Marine grease on the prop shaft

Get help for lining up your first gearcase. Be sure that the water line does not pinch the grommet on the impeller housing or you will have restriced water flow. Dont bother sealing the gearcase to the exhaust housing. Not necessary. Grease the splines of the driveshaft as well, but NOT the TOP of the driveshaft. Dont forget the o ring!

Torque values for screws and bolts to follow.Torque_Specs.jpg

HighTrim

Supreme Mariner

Regarding the carb, the '59 with have a different setup for adjusting the needles than the '57. It will have a bellcrank/linkage system to accomodate the cowl. Im also thinking the needles are different, but would have to check the part numbers to verify. I can say with certainty that the nut for tightening the low speed needle will be different.

The upper half of the air silencer is different as well with a mounting pad on the '59.

Other than that I think they are identical.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class

What's up Chris...Thanks.. Yeah your right on on the needles the 57 has 2 unconnected ones. the high speed is really to low to fit as you have to remove it to get the carb to slide down in place. When I fitted it on the powerhead I looked down and luckily for me there's a hole in the bottom plate that the needle will slide thru and line up with the HSN hole perfectly. The only problem with that is the needle does not stick out far enough for the adjustment knob to fit on, but I figured I could adjust it without the knob. The silencer actually looked to fit good but I didn't put in any bolts so it may not. Thanks for the torque specs. And I'll get some marine grease. I hope to get her back together this weekend ,but I may have to much prep and paint left, and too poor of weather to really do well with that.

ccvolsdhf

Petty Officer 1st Class
Re: Trying to rebuild 18 hp Johnson

Well I got a little done. Looking at reassembly next weekend.

2012-02-05 13.47.18.jpg2012-02-12 01.09.17.jpg2012-02-12 23.13.09.jpg2012-02-12 23.20.55.jpg2012-02-12 23.15.30.jpg

64osby

Admiral

Paint is looking great. Do you paint in the kitchen or the bathroom.:D

Mas

Lieutenant Commander

Great question...because both have an exhaust fan!

Mas

Status
Not open for further replies.